The Shore Seems Far Where’s The New Morning?
No one to her too close was, none too far,
Closest to her perhaps was walking stick,
Misplaced oft and all o’er the sprawling place;
She loved all, none still in particular,
And rated freedom above all and far:
Limbs might be weak but in mind I’m no sick,
I still can walk well, at a sprightly pace,
I act on my own words, fight my own war.
Yet, life of togetherness of two-some
When comes apart fracturing four long scores,
A soul separated in late evening
Can scarce bear the pain sudden should it come;
To a bird closer to reaching far shores
Farther may seem her destiny’s calling.
My father’s death, though anticipated, seemed
to have suddenly left a vacuum in my mother’s
life marked by loneliness even in the midst of
a large caring family. This sonnet is evocative
of the feelings of tenderness for a person
suddenly faced with loss of direction in life.
The first line: It seems to me, she never
reconciled with the helplessness of old age.
To her, children staying with them, and
parents staying with the children were not the
same thing. The fourth line reflects her paradox:
she loved all, none still in particular.
She rated her freedom high, perhaps a defence
mechanism to hide the helplessness of her old age.
- Sonnets | 13.10.08 |
Aniruddha Pathak's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Shore Seems Far Where’s The New Morning? by Aniruddha Pathak )
- Gulls in the Wind, Betsy Sholl
- Let the Rain begin, Antonio Liao
- Scenes From the Rain! ! ! ! ! ! ! !, RAJESH.C BOSE
- Here, Betsy Sholl
- The Blue Eyed, Sadiqullah Khan
- The Tortoise, Betsy Sholl
- A Reflecting Mirror, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sanctuary, Naveed Khalid
- Angel of Dissent, Betsy Sholl
- The Queen Mary, Ima Ryma
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
- Heather Burns
(1923 - 1998)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)