The Shadow on the Window
Her dark silhouette moved beyond the grilled window
Was she a living woman, an apparition, or a shadow?
In the evening sitting there her head bowed low
I loved to think of her a ghost on the window.
That house from ours was within a stone’s throw
At that time looked remote now only I know.
Her hands they always moved what she was up to
Was she knitting corpses’ shroud I had little clue.
Don’t look at her, mom would say, stay away from her
Her words ran me down the window didn’t seem far.
Quickly I shut my eyes there was no way I could dare
To ignore mom’s caution and had her in my stare.
I went back to my homework not that I much willed
But lessons had to be learnt pages had to be filled.
I heard ghosts could pass through wall anyplace they could be
What if she had stopped her work and come looking for me?
I sat frozen in benumbed fear my courage they all fled
For courage would be of no use when dealing with the dead.
I wasn’t safe alone cried out 'mom' to find her I frightfully ran
Passed by the house the grilled window but there wasn’t a woman.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Shadow on the Window by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)