The Shadow on the Window
Her dark silhouette moved beyond the grilled window
Was she a living woman, an apparition, or a shadow?
In the evening sitting there her head bowed low
I loved to think of her a ghost on the window.
That house from ours was within a stone’s throw
At that time looked remote now only I know.
Her hands they always moved what she was up to
Was she knitting corpses’ shroud I had little clue.
Don’t look at her, mom would say, stay away from her
Her words ran me down the window didn’t seem far.
Quickly I shut my eyes there was no way I could dare
To ignore mom’s caution and had her in my stare.
I went back to my homework not that I much willed
But lessons had to be learnt pages had to be filled.
I heard ghosts could pass through wall anyplace they could be
What if she had stopped her work and come looking for me?
I sat frozen in benumbed fear my courage they all fled
For courage would be of no use when dealing with the dead.
I wasn’t safe alone cried out 'mom' to find her I frightfully ran
Passed by the house the grilled window but there wasn’t a woman.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Shadow on the Window by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- SOME THOUGHTS ABOUT THE SUN, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- I am always with you, gajanan mishra
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)