The Shadow on the Window
Her dark silhouette moved beyond the grilled window
Was she a living woman, an apparition, or a shadow?
In the evening sitting there her head bowed low
I loved to think of her a ghost on the window.
That house from ours was within a stone’s throw
At that time looked remote now only I know.
Her hands they always moved what she was up to
Was she knitting corpses’ shroud I had little clue.
Don’t look at her, mom would say, stay away from her
Her words ran me down the window didn’t seem far.
Quickly I shut my eyes there was no way I could dare
To ignore mom’s caution and had her in my stare.
I went back to my homework not that I much willed
But lessons had to be learnt pages had to be filled.
I heard ghosts could pass through wall anyplace they could be
What if she had stopped her work and come looking for me?
I sat frozen in benumbed fear my courage they all fled
For courage would be of no use when dealing with the dead.
I wasn’t safe alone cried out 'mom' to find her I frightfully ran
Passed by the house the grilled window but there wasn’t a woman.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Shadow on the Window by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Hotel, Randy Resh
- I SLEEP FOR A FEW DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- I SLEEP FOR A DREAMS, M.D Dinesh Nair
- The Modern Indian English Poetess, Bijay Kant Dubey
- My Soul, Richard Bretton
- A Single Sentence…, Doyen Lingua
- Enviable Death, Doyen Lingua
- Awake, Michael McParland
- Rescue the Poor Eves!, Dr John Celes
- Extend hand at once, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Where The Mind Is Without Fear, Rabindranath Tagore
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Farewell, William Wordsworth
- Bright Star, John Keats
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(3rd April 19sixty)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)