The Shadow on the Window
Her dark silhouette moved beyond the grilled window
Was she a living woman, an apparition, or a shadow?
In the evening sitting there her head bowed low
I loved to think of her a ghost on the window.
That house from ours was within a stone’s throw
At that time looked remote now only I know.
Her hands they always moved what she was up to
Was she knitting corpses’ shroud I had little clue.
Don’t look at her, mom would say, stay away from her
Her words ran me down the window didn’t seem far.
Quickly I shut my eyes there was no way I could dare
To ignore mom’s caution and had her in my stare.
I went back to my homework not that I much willed
But lessons had to be learnt pages had to be filled.
I heard ghosts could pass through wall anyplace they could be
What if she had stopped her work and come looking for me?
I sat frozen in benumbed fear my courage they all fled
For courage would be of no use when dealing with the dead.
I wasn’t safe alone cried out 'mom' to find her I frightfully ran
Passed by the house the grilled window but there wasn’t a woman.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Shadow on the Window by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Fairyland, Alesia Leach
- Lack of money does not mean lack of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- On The T.V., Hannah Bryson Price
- Why do need wisdom anytime?, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- it is almost poetry, Mandolyn ...
- Wisdom's great aim, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Our world is without any kind of wisdom, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Dream packed drama, hasmukh amathalal
- A fool واحد احمق, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Quite same, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)