T (no first name) Wignesan
The Ruba'iyat Of Creteil Lake - Part Thirty-One
The Tent-Vendor’s son kept whining and wailing on the road
Such that none could even hear their own thoughts mocking aloud:
“Now what doth yon Sirrah untimely break open our contained Faith! ”
Exclaimed the High Prelate, white crown-band an overwhelming load
“Sire! ” called a yea-sayer, “He crieth like some thwarted fiend!
For – says he – his war service won him neither medal nor friend.”
“And what might that service be? ” – thundered the Imam all fired.
“At thirteen ball-bearing catapult blew a légionnaire’s mind! ”
“Allah! Forbid! Come to judgment! Free this miscreant’s soul! ”
All around the sacred ground ‘Insch’allah! ’ echoed the Faithful!
Eyes fixed on sky, the Imam cried: “Can such be true? ” Loud silence reigned.
Up stepped the Commandant, “Yes, Your Holiness! Word, deed and all! ”
“Our files attest to this forfeiture: he now works for us!
On the list of the Franquist Woman he collects détritus! ”
“Our mind boggles: why wouldst thy sworn enemy now be thine? ”
“Thwarted enemies make the best enemies of enemies! ”
“Sire! Whilst we are on the subject, I beg Thy condescension:
Habeas corpus ad subjiciendum… Ibrahim’s son…”
“STOP! Will’st thou refrain from thine use of Canon and Sceptre!
Here on consecrated soil it’s beyond our comprehension! ”
© T. Wignesan – Paris,2014
T (no first name) Wignesan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ruba'iyat Of Creteil Lake - Part Thirty-One by T (no first name) Wignesan )
- Invention of The Store, douglas scotney
- AA, Vera Sidhwa
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)