There is a river dark and still,
Behind a house, atop a hill.
There in it's depths my lover lies
And nightly I can hear her cries.
It's banks are bare, no flowers grow;
They died with her so long ago.
My spirit too, and still I weep
And pray for my eternal sleep.
On moonlit nights my love appears
And by the light I see her tears.
She waits there by the river's edge
For me to yet fulfill my pledge.
It was upon our wedding's eve
We argued, and for this I grieve
For angrily I struck the blow
That sent her to her death below.
This very night, at last her hand
Will wear the longed-for wedding band,
For I will keep the pledge I gave
And join her in the watery grave.
On moonlit nights we'll walk with pride,
A ghostly groom and ghostly bride,
Along that river dark and still,
Behind my house, atop the hill.
Herman Sequira's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The River by Herman Sequira )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(01 January 1950)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I am mad with Love, Mirabai
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Swachh Bharat, Swasth Bharat (Bharathiya), Dr John Celes
Poem of the Day
- बैसागु, Ronjoy Brahma
- Chassis, Alice Cordy
- My Time On The Mountain, Orlando Belo
- A Degree of Intensity, Daniel Brick
- Oh, This Age of Self-propaganda And Publ.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- हारिनि इयुना जोँनि आखायावनो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Honey Bee, Paul Sebastian
- Compromised, M.J. Lemon
- I Want You, I Want You, A Girl Just Like.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Missing You, Gillu Rahul