I was taught as a child, the “land of the Free, ”
Even as an adolescent that’s all I could see.
“Home of the Brave” was flowing through my blood,
Then all of a sudden I heard a thud.
The sound in my chest was crying out to me,
My heart was screaming there is no more olive tree.
No more branch or peace for there to be extended,
The freedoms we had have now ended.
The image of a patriot was tainted in my brain,
And it’s not the solider that walks in vein.
The politicians hold all the blame,
They are the ones who stoke the flame.
Their lies and deceit can no longer be hidden,
It’s out in the open, no longer forbidden.
The American people are opening their eyes,
The government puppets can’t hold up their disguise.
The revolution is coming because we didn’t learn from the past,
This time it’s not red coats that we must out last.
It’s our own kind coming from Capitol Hill,
And they come with the intention to imprison or kill.
So swim upstream or be lost out to sea,
The government is coming, even if you disagree.
Bryan Pegram's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Resistance by Bryan Pegram )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- (1) The Ceaseless Waves of Sorrow, Uriah Hamilton
- An Ode to a Toad Named Frank, Susan Sparks
- The Path, Deepak Hariharan
- A Hymn to God, Dr John Celes
- The Facebook Poem, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Jerk At Work, Alan W. Jankowski
- When Friends Betray Friends, Alan W. Jankowski
- My Love Did Sometimes Wander, Alan W. Jankowski
- No Help At All, Alan W. Jankowski
- The Bird, the Cat, the Monster and I…., Poetheart (back)