I was taught as a child, the “land of the Free, ”
Even as an adolescent that’s all I could see.
“Home of the Brave” was flowing through my blood,
Then all of a sudden I heard a thud.
The sound in my chest was crying out to me,
My heart was screaming there is no more olive tree.
No more branch or peace for there to be extended,
The freedoms we had have now ended.
The image of a patriot was tainted in my brain,
And it’s not the solider that walks in vein.
The politicians hold all the blame,
They are the ones who stoke the flame.
Their lies and deceit can no longer be hidden,
It’s out in the open, no longer forbidden.
The American people are opening their eyes,
The government puppets can’t hold up their disguise.
The revolution is coming because we didn’t learn from the past,
This time it’s not red coats that we must out last.
It’s our own kind coming from Capitol Hill,
And they come with the intention to imprison or kill.
So swim upstream or be lost out to sea,
The government is coming, even if you disagree.
Bryan Pegram's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Resistance by Bryan Pegram )
- Indulgences, Jayatissa Liyanage
- From The Balcony, Heather Burns
- Ang undubai, Shri R Brahma
- 10 January 2014, Shri R Brahma
- October is next to September تشرين الاول.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- October is next to September, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I feel bored, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- 30 September 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Praise God for that Touchdown (only if Y.., Joe Rosochacki
- Mablaba baogargwn be jaya, Shri R Brahma
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Drownig in pink, Framarz Bagheri
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)