I was taught as a child, the “land of the Free, ”
Even as an adolescent that’s all I could see.
“Home of the Brave” was flowing through my blood,
Then all of a sudden I heard a thud.
The sound in my chest was crying out to me,
My heart was screaming there is no more olive tree.
No more branch or peace for there to be extended,
The freedoms we had have now ended.
The image of a patriot was tainted in my brain,
And it’s not the solider that walks in vein.
The politicians hold all the blame,
They are the ones who stoke the flame.
Their lies and deceit can no longer be hidden,
It’s out in the open, no longer forbidden.
The American people are opening their eyes,
The government puppets can’t hold up their disguise.
The revolution is coming because we didn’t learn from the past,
This time it’s not red coats that we must out last.
It’s our own kind coming from Capitol Hill,
And they come with the intention to imprison or kill.
So swim upstream or be lost out to sea,
The government is coming, even if you disagree.
Bryan Pegram's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Resistance by Bryan Pegram )
- Frozen sentiments, hasmukh amathalal
- I sink deep, hasmukh amathalal
- Haiku ' Dray ', miken newman
- I shall never be, hasmukh amathalal
- Water, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Beside you walks a woman, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- A name on the tree, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Standing In The Middle, Katherine Perry
- Non - Compliance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Tiger, William Blake
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)