The Poor Man's Christmas
Mistletoe hang from the ceiling
And somehow it gets me to feeling
That the Season of Christmas is here
A time of enjoyment and cheer.
At Christmas most people feel fine
And generally have a good time
On turkey and pudding they dine
And wash it all down with red wine.
The old man spends Christmas alone
A cold, dreary shack for a home
His sole comfort on Christmas Night
A solitary candle-light.
In Christmas there isn't much cheer
If you haven't the price of a beer
With scarce little money to spend
And no one you can call a friend.
Christmas bring this man no joy
It always seem to pass him by
To this man each day is the same
He care not if Christmas never came.
This poor man unhealthy and weak
Has to live on one hundred and eighty dollars a week
Has to struggle for to make ends meet
To buy shoes, clothes and enough food for to eat.
He looks to the coming New Year
In hopeless dejection and fear,
Fear that the harsh Winter cold
Will take toll on one frail and old.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Poor Man's Christmas by Francis Duggan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Cloudless Rain, Aftab Alam
- Those Who had Been Bloody, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Boots, Nassy Fesharaki
- How does she smile, Nero CaroZiv
- We Will Find A Way, Okoemu Barnabas
- The Beloved of The Ph.D. Guide, Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Are Not Even Modern And Instead of B.., Bijay Kant Dubey