What is this note laid under the lamp
Written in a childish scrawl?
It annoys me when I think of that scamp
And look at the empty hall.
Molly has gone down by the fence;
She was here but a moment ago.
I’ve been angry and have taken the chance
To scold her for I know
She dreams away her waking hours,
When night was made for them.
She never does her chores until
I’ve told her again and again.
She’s sulking and I know she thinks
That the neighbor’s boy has time to dream
And hours to play all day.
And she wishes she could be like him
And never put her toys away.
And never be scolded for spilling her milk,
And never be told what to do.
For they never yell or trounce him behind
And he’s such a bad boy, too.
I wish I knew what to do with the child
For someday she’ll be grown.
I don’t want to be harsh yet all the while
I worry what she’ll become.
And here’s this note that can hardly be read.
I swear I don’t know how that child will live.
I picked up the note and all it said
Was, “I love you.” and, “Please forgive.”
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Note by Adeline Foster )
- Over Time, Fatima Nusairat
- Truth is that, gajanan mishra
- FUCHSIA, Aminath Neena
- love is an 8 ball- it is decidedly so, Mandolyn ...
- Rising of a New Day Through Shine, Rohit Sapra
- Sad Cloud, ramesh rai
- I am carnival, Havilah
- Creative Musical Juces, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Finally Found Our Home, Michael McParland
- Distance doesn't matter, Antonio Liao
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 March 1941 -)