What is this note laid under the lamp
Written in a childish scrawl?
It annoys me when I think of that scamp
And look at the empty hall.
Molly has gone down by the fence;
She was here but a moment ago.
I’ve been angry and have taken the chance
To scold her for I know
She dreams away her waking hours,
When night was made for them.
She never does her chores until
I’ve told her again and again.
She’s sulking and I know she thinks
That the neighbor’s boy has time to dream
And hours to play all day.
And she wishes she could be like him
And never put her toys away.
And never be scolded for spilling her milk,
And never be told what to do.
For they never yell or trounce him behind
And he’s such a bad boy, too.
I wish I knew what to do with the child
For someday she’ll be grown.
I don’t want to be harsh yet all the while
I worry what she’ll become.
And here’s this note that can hardly be read.
I swear I don’t know how that child will live.
I picked up the note and all it said
Was, “I love you.” and, “Please forgive.”
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Note by Adeline Foster )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- Insanity, Michael P. McParland
- Invisible, Michael P. McParland
- A Journey in a Winter Morning, Kumarmani Mahakul
- The Uninvited Guests, Tony Adah
- I Am Not Evil, Michael P. McParland
- Great Black Spectre, Michael P. McParland
- I can not substitute the present for the.., cristobal Benjumea
- I am not responsible for the passed, cristobal Benjumea
- I'm So Sorry, Michael P. McParland
- Avoiding, Michael P. McParland