The Night Before Christmas
T’was the night before Christmas;
A knock came to the door.
T’was a message from the Shoestring’s
To say they’d moved house once more.
Well! Santa set fire to his whiskas;
Uncle Holly threw a fit.
The Elves doubled up with laughter,
They didn’t care one bit.
You see, the presents had already been labelled,
The Sleigh was packed and set to go.
The Stars were lit
And the Clouds switched on
To ensure a good fall of snow.
Rudolph’s nose grew visibly paler.
The Reindeers stamped their hooves,
Making sparks fly from the cobblestones
When Santa shouted … “Stop! Nothing moves! ”
He said “They’ve moved just once too often”
And then (cheered on by the Elves) ,
Said “If they really want their Christmas presents,
They can fetch the ruddy things themselves! ”
Poem Notes: -
At Christmas we like to remember friends and family, even if we have not seen them for a long while. For some of us, the Christmas card address list is a nightmare of old diary entries; crossed out references; bits of scribble on scraps of paper where we have tried to keep track of people’s new home addresses, often in vain.
We ourselves have moved house many times, and on several occasions very close to the Christmas period, and we always felt guilty at having to mess everyone’s address books yet again.
This verse echoes the sentiment that I am sure would have been shared by many of our friends on hearing that we had moved ‘once more’.
David Shoestring's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Night Before Christmas by David Shoestring )
- Idol dances, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Ayrton, Edward Kofi Louis
- Yesterday Hours, Nathalie Handal
- Grammar School, Edward Kofi Louis
- Ephratha, Nathalie Handal
- First Sight., Bieze Josephat
- Gaza City, Nathalie Handal
- The safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Limerick-35, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- no more love story, The Princess is
Poem of the Day
- nugget, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- healthy back bag, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)