the next milestone
Our progress through life is marked off by milestones.
The first is when we recieved first democracy on May 1999
We feel so free having hit to freedom.
The second’s when we are
It means for the next six years we are Teens.
Then we are twenty! No need to worry, still there is plenty
Of time left to waste.
Time left to fight, time to live, love, unite, produce, earn.
But no time to muse on the trickling of time,
Except when at each decade’s end, lo, we find…a milestone.
Milestones punctuate life’s seven ages.
Milestone to milestone we pass through the stages.
freedom to freedom, twenty to thirty.
Decade to decade, thirty to forty.
Epoch to epoch, forty to fifty.
Milestone to milestone, slavery to freedom.
emmanuel wonighan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (the next milestone by emmanuel wonighan )
- Drivers lessons, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I love you, Harold R Hunt Sr
- love, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Under the stairs., Harold R Hunt Sr
- On my shoulder, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Out of the mouth of babies., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Chand Khoya He Badlo Mein, Hwa Khamoshi .., Yashvardhan Goel
- Later Tonight, Michael McParland
- summer, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Down by the river., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 January 1832 – 14 January 1898)