Sometimes I laugh—what else can a man do
Who does not know ? This little ego here
Braving the void, this fleck upon the blue,
This filmy wing sounding the starry sphere—
What bold abysmal incongruity,
What joke of the gods to make a mock of me !
I hear you sing, and wonder how you dare.
Too fine for song they are—the tint of the rose,
The touch of a child, love's beauty and despair,
All the sad furtive exquisiteness that blows,
Like scent of gardens I may never see,
Across my sense to make a mock of me.
That I, this atom infinitesimal,
This chance-blown seed of flesh and fire, that I
Should front the dread immensity, the all,
Shocking the silence with my futile cry—
What dark inscrutable absurdity,
What joke of the gods to make a mock of me!
Harriet Monroe's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mockery by Harriet Monroe )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- red light zone, lee fones
- A FOLK SONG اغنية فولكلورية JESSIE MACKAY, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Like food, hasmukh amathalal
- Earth's surface, gajanan mishra
- Lost, Tiku akp
- The Spider and the Spray Can Man, Donal Mahoney
- Your Emerald Eyes, Francie Lynch
- The Truth Is Not Blind, Wilfred Mellers
- Intuition, Violet Winters
- Thirteen, gajanan mishra