Is it Mardi Gras, Halloween or Harlequin
or the mask her face is in?
No one except for she can tell
what lies beneath her skin.
She takes her mask off in the night
but never in the day.
She wears the face of every one
that sees her in the day.
The one whose heart is fortified
by beauty and by strength.
The one whose heart is weakened
by loveless days at length.
The one who walks with confidence
and never appears weak.
The one who always looks calm
and peaceful when she speaks.
But, be on guard when day is done
for all of this does change.
She becomes again a simple poet
and the mask she does exchange
for everything she really is
and everything she's not.
The face that wears the mask each day
is really not the face she's got.
Edwina Reizer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mask by Edwina Reizer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 February 1970-)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Broken Dreams 'A Divorce Story', Craig Mize
- Ek se silsile hain sab hijr ki rut bata .., Pirzada Qasim
Poem of the Day
- Stuff I Love, Emily Liang
- My Barber, Ima Ryma
- 28 December My Birthday, benaiah sondashi
- Who Are You?, Electric Lady
- Aunt Sally, hafiz qasim
- Autonecropolis, Leslie Philibert
- '' There's No Substitution '', bri mar
- Pessimist Vs. Optimist, Sujay Asukar
- In And Out Of Existence, Margaret Alice Second
- aChe HiLLy's Heal - oN thE hEELs oF eVeR.., sEaN nOrTh