Dorian Petersen Potter
The Kentucky Derby (Quatrains)
What a glorious day it is today,
As people of all ages are having fun,
Because the Kentucky Derby race,
Is taking place till the day is done.
You can really see all around the,
Throughbred beautiful horses, too,
That will be competing for the,
grand prize that they'll give today.
There are very large crowds everywhere, and,
Folks are laughing and making bets to,
For their favorite horses and everywhere, and,
You can feel their excitement mounting too.
You can see the jockeys walking around,
Displaying proudly all their best colors and silks too.
They all seem to be, more than ready for this race,
While taking last notes here and there to make things okay today.
Well, this wonderful race is about to start any moment now.
The horses are being prepared in every way, and that's true,
As they're all looking their very best from head to hoofs,
The winner will receive a very beautiful cup and great honors, too.
So many bets that are at stake here for so many today,
People are very excited, rushing all over the place to,
As the horses and their jockeys are getting ready now,
The jockeys are looking so proud atop the horses they'll ride, too.
The horses and jockeys are now set for this much awaited race,
They're all in line and in their position to start anytime to,
But it will take a long time for sure for this race to be over,
But already it looks like 'Blind Beauty' is about to make history today.
Dorian Petersen Potter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Kentucky Derby (Quatrains) by Dorian Petersen Potter )
- A Hymn, Sir Henry Wotton
- Raja Ravi Varma, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Psalm CIV, Sir Henry Wotton
- Friendship, Afshan Fatima
- Shaking Off The Finger Tip, Is It Poetry
- Golden Glow, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Prayer, Nicholas Breton
- Invective: The Hate Of Treason, Nicholas Breton
- Goodbye Elias, Tony Adah
- On The END, Akhil Zoomin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)