Dorian Petersen Potter
The Kentucky Derby (Quatrains)
What a glorious day it is today,
As people of all ages are having fun,
Because the Kentucky Derby race,
Is taking place till the day is done.
You can really see all around the,
Throughbred beautiful horses, too,
That will be competing for the,
grand prize that they'll give today.
There are very large crowds everywhere, and,
Folks are laughing and making bets to,
For their favorite horses and everywhere, and,
You can feel their excitement mounting too.
You can see the jockeys walking around,
Displaying proudly all their best colors and silks too.
They all seem to be, more than ready for this race,
While taking last notes here and there to make things okay today.
Well, this wonderful race is about to start any moment now.
The horses are being prepared in every way, and that's true,
As they're all looking their very best from head to hoofs,
The winner will receive a very beautiful cup and great honors, too.
So many bets that are at stake here for so many today,
People are very excited, rushing all over the place to,
As the horses and their jockeys are getting ready now,
The jockeys are looking so proud atop the horses they'll ride, too.
The horses and jockeys are now set for this much awaited race,
They're all in line and in their position to start anytime to,
But it will take a long time for sure for this race to be over,
But already it looks like 'Blind Beauty' is about to make history today.
Dorian Petersen Potter's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Kentucky Derby (Quatrains) by Dorian Petersen Potter )
- One's Mind, michael walkerjohn
- Mind's Refuse, michael walkerjohn
- 6 is truly 9, michael walkerjohn
- Flowers!, rajendran muthiah
- Never feel alone, hasmukh amathalal
- Last Words Played, michael walkerjohn
- Death is certain, hasmukh amathalal
- The Little Men, michael walkerjohn
- Furthest Right, michael walkerjohn
- Political Correctness, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley