The Hot-Water Bott'All
Poor old Paul had such a life
Trying to look after
His beloved wife.
For her he did everything;
He did it’all.
Until she killed him -
With a hot-water bott’all.
Threw it down the stairs
She did, with hardly a glance,
And in trying to catch it
He lost his …balance.
Fell back against a key-box
Fixed firmly to the wall,
And in a jingly jangly clatter of keys
Fell down stone dead in the hall.
His wife threw up her hands in horror.
How could such a thing happen to her?
Naturally, she was very worried
And couldn’t think where the Insurance Policies were.
Is there a lesson in this?
I hear you ask.
I say when requested to do a simple task,
Proceed with great speed
To obey your wife,
For upon it may depend your life.
Be alert to the unexpected;
And this applies to you all,
Or it may be your turn next
For the hot-water bott’all.
© David Shoestring
David Shoestring's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Hot-Water Bott'All by David Shoestring )
- Pretend, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world هذا العالم المجهول, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- IF, dipa bhattacharyya
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
- Friend-Zoned, Foster Teegarden
- My chidhood poem collection -1, soulful heart
- Switch Your Words, inas essa
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)