The Homeless One
He shivers in the morning dew,
Blanket and shirt cast aside
Like the dawn shrugging off
The dark, lonely night.
Crouching in the dirt,
Talking to unseen people
As if surrounded by a throng
Of loved ones in his home.
He issues instructions -
Points which way to go;
Helping them to find their way
In a world we cannot see.
He eats from the garbage,
There's nowhere to wash;
He sleeps beneath the stars
On the cold, hard ground.
The cars drive past him;
Pedestrians look away.
They cannot be bothered
With the mad one today…
But what did Jesus tell us?
What was it that he said?
I was hungry and you gave me food…
Thirsty and you gave me drink.
- a stranger and you took me in;
Naked and you clothed me;
I was sick and you looked after me-
In prison and you came to me…
Help us to reach out, Lord;
To notice those in need;
If each of us helped one each day -
The world would see Your love.
Jinge Norvall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Homeless One by Jinge Norvall )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(c. 600 BCE)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- If only it were from me my Love, Hudhaifah Siyad
- Neither Hindugiri Nor Christiangiri Nor .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Unbound, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Mask We Wear, Is It Poetry
- Purified man, gajanan mishra
- Questioning Deity?, Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Barack Obama And His comprehension of In.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Calculated Etchings, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Charity, Self-control and Mercy, gajanan mishra
- To Win Your Man's Heart, Valsa George