This Garden does not take my eyes,
Though here you show how art of men
Can purchase Nature at a price
Would stock old Paradise again.
These glories while you dote upon,
I envy not your spring nor pride,
Nay, boast the summer all your own,
My thoughts with less are satisified.
Give me a little plot of ground,
Where might I with the Sun agree,
Though every day he walk the round,
My Garden he should seldom see.
Those Tulips that such wealth display,
To court my eye, shall lose their name,
Though now they listen, as if they
Expected I should praise their name.
But I would see my self appear
Within the Violet's drooping head,
On which a melancholy tear
The discontented morn hath shed.
Within their buds let Roses sleep,
And virgin Lilies on their stem,
Till sighs from lovers glide, and creep
Into their leaves to open them.
I'th'center of my ground compose
Of Bays and Yew my summer room,
Which may so oft as I repose,
Present my arbor, and my tomb.
No woman here shall find me out,
Or if a chance do bring one hither,
I'll be secure, for round about
I'll moat it with my eyes' foul weather.
No bird shall live within my pale,
To charm me with their shames of art,
Unless some wandering Nightingale
Come here to sing and break her heart.
Upon whose death I'll try to write
An epitaph in some funeral stone,
So sad, and true, it may invite
My self to die, and prove mine own.
James Shirley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Garden by James Shirley )
- تحية طيبة, خليل مردم بك
- Happy Writer, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- هذا وربك مثوى كل إنسان, خليل مردم بك
- Scars Never Heal, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Closed Doors, Omar Eldamsheety
- The Only Key, Cynthia BuhainBaello
- A cry from a child, Zintle Groepe
- Hope Again., Tracee Olga
- If, Zintle Groepe
- Look at eyes! ! !, SALINI NAIR
Poem of the Day
- 1861, Walt Whitman
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Lob, Edward Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Robert William Service
(16 January 1874 - 11 September 1958)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
John Greenleaf Whittier
(17 December 1807 – 7 September 1892)
George Gordon Byron
(22 January 1788 – 19 April 1824)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)