Statuesque, handsome, flowering
in the shade beneath wild crab
tempting as of ages, past
legends steeped in belief,
faith for those who chose.
Do I resist your charms
embrace, kiss those purple lips
seek the nectar as the bee?
Digitalis is your name
my finger deep within your folds
enter the goblet, purple freckles
innocent in that pouting mouth,
bathe in the dangerous air,
unheed paternal warnings
drink deep sweet intoxicants
to calm my racing heart,
indulge myself 'til death
succumb as thousand others?
Turn away from this seductress
to hawthorn buds, spotless white
who, in quiet beauty promise less;
lasting wealth and quiet comfort,
the bread and cheese of childhood.
John Rickell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Foxglove by John Rickell )
- To London's Clock, Naveed Khalid
- Love even, hasmukh amathalal
- Eternity I, Naveed Khalid
- The Reign of Life, Patrick Czyz
- On The Rosy Cross, Naveed Khalid
- Survival, Patrick Czyz
- Title Of A Poem, Naveed Khalid
- मेरे रब मेरे ही होना!, Aftab Alam
- On Valentine, Naveed Khalid
- The Ghost and the Darkness, Ima Ryma