The First Step
Somewhere here on this mortal land,
Existed a state with barbaric head.
Where prejudice prevailed, rules were neglect.
Might ruled as right_ poor owed dread.
But among the men; with suffering hearts,
A valiant gazes towards the brute,
With falcon’s eyes_ Ulysses breast,
Near the savage approached the youth.
Before the edge of sharpest sword
Steady he stood by austere truth.
“When pen ousts the fright of sword,
Then people fear nadie but God.
No more the loot, ywis ye crook.
Enough ma tribe has faced the ruth! ”
Those were the dialogues by the stout,
That shamed unjust_ provoked his crowd.
He fought for the people, till his breath,
Thus harbored the revolt in their chests.
No else illumes the way for you,
Barriers are broken, when tries the resolute.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
1. Ulysses: A famous Greek hero.
2. Austere: Serious, severe.
3. Oust: To remove, to take place.
4. Nadie: No one, nobody (Origin Spanish) .
5. Ywis: Certainly, indeed.
6. Ye: You.
7. Stout: Brave.
8. Resolute: Firm, determined.
Comments about this poem (The First Step by Shaikh Mehmood )
Still I Rise
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- WH Auden
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
- Francis Duggan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1930 - 1998)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(October 27, 1932 – February 11, 1963)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Multicultural Day, Francis Duggan
- OCEAN RANGER DISASTER, verna ralph
- In Praise Of Limestone, WH Auden
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- First Love, John Clare
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Mushrooms, Sylvia Plath