The First Step
Somewhere here on this mortal land,
Existed a state with barbaric head.
Where prejudice prevailed, rules were neglect.
Might ruled as right_ poor owed dread.
But among the men; with suffering hearts,
A valiant gazes towards the brute,
With falcon’s eyes_ Ulysses breast,
Near the savage approached the youth.
Before the edge of sharpest sword
Steady he stood by austere truth.
“When pen ousts the fright of sword,
Then people fear nadie but God.
No more the loot, ywis ye crook.
Enough ma tribe has faced the ruth! ”
Those were the dialogues by the stout,
That shamed unjust_ provoked his crowd.
He fought for the people, till his breath,
Thus harbored the revolt in their chests.
No else illumes the way for you,
Barriers are broken, when tries the resolute.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
1. Ulysses: A famous Greek hero.
2. Austere: Serious, severe.
3. Oust: To remove, to take place.
4. Nadie: No one, nobody (Origin Spanish) .
5. Ywis: Certainly, indeed.
6. Ye: You.
7. Stout: Brave.
8. Resolute: Firm, determined.
Comments about this poem (The First Step by Shaikh Mehmood )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- The Truth Lays, Michael P. McParland
- I Pledge My Life Unto Thine Word, Dr John Celes
- Hope in the Good, yashovardhan kulkarni
- Dogged, Chris Ajiduah
- Whew-phew! Breathtaking Fairies Stood in.., Harindhar Reddy
- Sinful youth, Darian Kalamerd
- What A Breath, Chris Ajiduah
- Corruption, Randy McClave
- Our Destiny, Darian Kalamerd
- Yogi in the moon, Madrason writer