The First Step
Somewhere here on this mortal land,
Existed a state with barbaric head.
Where prejudice prevailed, rules were neglect.
Might ruled as right_ poor owed dread.
But among the men; with suffering hearts,
A valiant gazes towards the brute,
With falcon’s eyes_ Ulysses breast,
Near the savage approached the youth.
Before the edge of sharpest sword
Steady he stood by austere truth.
“When pen ousts the fright of sword,
Then people fear nadie but God.
No more the loot, ywis ye crook.
Enough ma tribe has faced the ruth! ”
Those were the dialogues by the stout,
That shamed unjust_ provoked his crowd.
He fought for the people, till his breath,
Thus harbored the revolt in their chests.
No else illumes the way for you,
Barriers are broken, when tries the resolute.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
1. Ulysses: A famous Greek hero.
2. Austere: Serious, severe.
3. Oust: To remove, to take place.
4. Nadie: No one, nobody (Origin Spanish) .
5. Ywis: Certainly, indeed.
6. Ye: You.
7. Stout: Brave.
8. Resolute: Firm, determined.
Comments about this poem (The First Step by Shaikh Mehmood )
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
- Queen of Hearts, Tania Montgomery
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
- child full of love, Miss. Tanease Berry
- ACTUAL SIZE, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(18 November 1939)