The First Step
Somewhere here on this mortal land,
Existed a state with barbaric head.
Where prejudice prevailed, rules were neglect.
Might ruled as right_ poor owed dread.
But among the men; with suffering hearts,
A valiant gazes towards the brute,
With falcon’s eyes_ Ulysses breast,
Near the savage approached the youth.
Before the edge of sharpest sword
Steady he stood by austere truth.
“When pen ousts the fright of sword,
Then people fear nadie but God.
No more the loot, ywis ye crook.
Enough ma tribe has faced the ruth! ”
Those were the dialogues by the stout,
That shamed unjust_ provoked his crowd.
He fought for the people, till his breath,
Thus harbored the revolt in their chests.
No else illumes the way for you,
Barriers are broken, when tries the resolute.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
1. Ulysses: A famous Greek hero.
2. Austere: Serious, severe.
3. Oust: To remove, to take place.
4. Nadie: No one, nobody (Origin Spanish) .
5. Ywis: Certainly, indeed.
6. Ye: You.
7. Stout: Brave.
8. Resolute: Firm, determined.
Comments about this poem (The First Step by Shaikh Mehmood )
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
- Fobbed Off, Diane Hine
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- My Wishes, Yasmin Rubayo
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow