The Final Year?
The present month has almost gone,
The next month's on its way,
For some, this year's the final year,
To laugh, or cry, or pray...
If they don't know this awesome truth,
There's not much left to say...
But if they do, that's like a gift,
Their thoughts no longer stray.
Yet what to do? What wondrous things?
What factors still apply?
What money's left to spend or save?
What's best they're meant to buy?
Who could they help before they part,
The ones who still ask, Why?
But funerals still cost the earth,
No matter what they'd try...
Perhaps it's just a false alarm,
With Christmas seen again...
No accidents, no twists of fates,
Just setbacks now and then...
Perhaps through prayer they'd still survive,
Not knowing until when,
But life's a gift each day we live,
It's all beyond our ken...
No wonder, then, we waste our time,
Ignoring here and there,
Or drive fast cars, quite recklessly,
As if we didn't care...
What would we do to save our skins,
Our precious lives to spare
And would we truly trust in God,
Meet Jesus in each prayer?
Another year, till time runs out,
The sands of time descend...
To signify the gift God grants
To every foe and friend...
What will you do? What will I do?
Let's choose not to pretend...
The Holy Bible's there to read,
To love and comprehend...
Denis Martindale, copyright, January 2014.
You can hear the word of the Lord on
GOD TV and Revelation TV channels.
Lots of tune-in and watch-now info if you
check Google search results for details.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Final Year? by Denis Martindale )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- Mending Wall, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Atonement, maria sudibyo
- Paper Cut, maria sudibyo
- Unfinished Poem, maria sudibyo
- I Want A Foreigner Girl For Me, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Blackberries / Briars, Frank Avon
- Daru Pikar Naya Varsha Shuru Karne Ka Er.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- It Is Time, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mother's Love, Father's Love, Sister's L.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- 52, Frank Avon
- Treasure, M.J. Lemon