I searched his eyes in the briefest of moments,
I looked in places no one did,
And saw the emptiness of his soul.
In that split of second,
I heard his soul cry for help,
Like a man set ablaze in his own abode.
I felt the stench of his breath,
The smell of his rotten soul,
Fouled by the odour of liquor.
I watched as he staggered on,
Barely keeping his feet on the ground,
As he walked away from my sight.
I felt the regret in his mind
the sorrow he singly bore
As he muttered words unheard
I saw children greet him with scorn
And he in vain his hurt repress,
As he gently he muted voice cursed.
I wathed him stagger beyond my sight.
I read from him a history of paid,
one only woeful men said.
Precious Okidika's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Drunkard by Precious Okidika )
- Puzzle of a Lovely Girl's Name!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- E- Humanity, Aamir Joyci
- In Memory of my Mother, George Pfumbi
- I Saw You Today, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Poetry Is Where You Find It IX, Frank Avon
- Touching the Dream, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Jealouty [Jealousy + Beauty], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Ray Ban Glasses, Md. Ziaul Haque
- ] [, Md. Ziaul Haque
- The Rose and Its Thorns, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Death of the Ball Turret Gunner, Randall Jarrell
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)