Time to step up to the plate, now it's time to be a man.
Analyzing the infield, all I see,
is her I'm ignoring at first,
at second, she, who I should have let go, but I'm still hoping to reach.
the one i can only dream of at third.
The ball is my chance.
First pitch, a strike.
First is cute, but would i be happy?
Second is good looking and smart, should i stop pretend, or do I really have a shot?
Thrid is beautiful, is it even possible for me?
The chance is getting away from me, as I take a fastball for strike two.
The 90 feet to first base feel longer than ever, second base looks like it's out of reach, am I even thinking about third?
The pitch is on it's way, to hit a longball is out of question, a base hit might be possible,
is there a chance I could stretch it to second?
I'm swinging and making contact,
Is it a hit?
Am I grounding out and missing my chance att first?
Is this the start of the game? Are we in the bottom of the ninth?
I don't know anymore,
And when will I know the answer? Was it a hit? Was it a ground out?
Will i ever know?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Inspired by my own situation, and inspired by the game of baseball and difficult decisions.
Comments about this poem (The Diamond by Joel Nilsson )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(1923 - 1998)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- two line, Razaur Rahman
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- The Greatest, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Rhyme, Akhil Arya
- The Best Days, Michael P. McParland
- The Arrival, Michael P. McParland
- Thank You So Very Much, Michael P. McParland
- This Life, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thank You KP, Michael P. McParland
- Tenderly Ask, Michael P. McParland
- Taking It All In, Michael P. McParland
- VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES, AND METH, Chaarzarul Rockett