Time to step up to the plate, now it's time to be a man.
Analyzing the infield, all I see,
is her I'm ignoring at first,
at second, she, who I should have let go, but I'm still hoping to reach.
the one i can only dream of at third.
The ball is my chance.
First pitch, a strike.
First is cute, but would i be happy?
Second is good looking and smart, should i stop pretend, or do I really have a shot?
Thrid is beautiful, is it even possible for me?
The chance is getting away from me, as I take a fastball for strike two.
The 90 feet to first base feel longer than ever, second base looks like it's out of reach, am I even thinking about third?
The pitch is on it's way, to hit a longball is out of question, a base hit might be possible,
is there a chance I could stretch it to second?
I'm swinging and making contact,
Is it a hit?
Am I grounding out and missing my chance att first?
Is this the start of the game? Are we in the bottom of the ninth?
I don't know anymore,
And when will I know the answer? Was it a hit? Was it a ground out?
Will i ever know?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Inspired by my own situation, and inspired by the game of baseball and difficult decisions.
Comments about this poem (The Diamond by Joel Nilsson )
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Morning, Sara Hopkins
- My India (Hindi) भारत अपना, S.D. TIWARI
- from 'The Double' VIII, Morgan Michaels
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)