The dark path
On a dark room, I was lying - Eyes on the ceiling
staring to nothing - 'till I heard my heart beating
double, triple? much faster than the clock's tick-tock
then I thought to myself - Am I really living?
I played the game - paper, scissors & rock - all my life
but I ain't winning - I Keep on losing.
Morning to evening to dawn and again morning
at times I'm not even breathing.
Chains and shackles of marble and steel
is tied to me from head to heel
- - - - - - - - - - -
Then I sought myself on a narrow path
running into a blinding light
I was looking aloft my vision
I can barely take a step - I'm lost.
A great flip on my direction
the path I shalt walk- I cannot see
I was conscious- aye! to all these
yet mine limbs are unstoppably moving
- - - - - - - - - -
All these scavenging creatures
are clinging unto my flesh - I cannot resist
to feel them plunging their fangs deep
caused mine sufferance - 'till I was numb and dead
are they freeing me from the traps?
or killing me slowly?
am I reaching the light?
or am I dying here lonely?
- - - - - - - - - -
A soft lady-voice hath cleared mine way
light striked through the path - to me
I opened my eyes and realized I was 'DREAMING? '.
a day was yet to start, there's none - to my flesh was clinging
am I really freeing myself to reality?
or making my ways to insanity?
there at least, I did not die
but I was still lonely, am I?
Ellirie Aviles's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The dark path by Ellirie Aviles )
- Leaves in Colors, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Never Give Up, Lilly Emery
- sterilization process of our modern system, Anthony Cavuoti
- Kopje onder, Madrason writer
- five past three, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Trapdoor, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Gans Veer, Madrason writer
- Be What You Are, Lilly Emery
- The abrupt end., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Native land., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns