During the peace of the altar,
Pews knelt down piously;
The pulpit stood and conducted
Verdure, rosary and the paternoster
And the clergy hummed soulfully.
Roars, rasps and hisses of tension
Harmed the altar.
Beads, broken and far-flung,
Scattered the heart of the rosary;
Witches roasted the pews on winter nights;
The pulpit, a fallen horse, slept on
With the lines of the paternoster.
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Church by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Reflections, Nero CaroZiv
- The shadow in my garden, Piyush Dey
- Something and something, gajanan mishra
- OUR PAINS AND OUR SUFFERINGS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Colors Of The Rainbow, Anthony Daniels
- Hiccup, binod bastola
- Life and death..how we come and how we g.., krishnakumar chandrasekar nair
- You need me, gajanan mishra
- Infractions Rained Down Tears, mary douglas
- poetic shenanigans, lee fones