What durst thou learn of I?
Apart from givin' scathy, scornful eyes
Upon my working on the floor
That lay in dirt and muck.
I hath eyed thy double chin
As thee threw thy jewels by
Of which I so yearned wear that me cries
Every dawn to bore
With the pang that I be bereft of luck
And wealth and thy handsome gin.
I scrub thy floor, thy shoe,
Thy everything which lay
And all thee shed is a penny.
A mere penny can stand none
For my living. What do I do?
I know the darkest lies within you
And would expel them for a pay
And let thy see my life and money
(Which thou owns by the ton)
Keep me nigh the quilt for a sleep or two.
Me loves to be loved and tendered
Care which seems to be few
In here- in your abode.
Stop thy curses! Thy kicks!
Hold thy swears upon your tongue.
I ain't livin' here for what yet thou rendered
Apart ignominy, shame and rue.
Ah! I skid along the road
For few minutes the clock now ticks
And squeezes into shreds me lungs.
Devanshi Khetarpal's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Chambermaid by Devanshi Khetarpal )
- Between Silence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Transcending Life On Earth, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Hare And His Wife, Tony Adah
- Pussy So Good, Joseph Rodriguez
- Novel Approaches, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are Too Beautiful For Me, Mark Webster
- Living Through Writing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You are my qualifier, Ruby Frankel
- I know a new freedom, Ruby Frankel
- The Fog Lifted, Ruby Frankel
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)