The Autumn Leaf
-It’s farewell time
My dearest leaf!
Break away, fly happy
Then, go to sleep
But the leaf won’t go;
to hang on for more
Sensitive pain shown
in her shaking voice:
-Nooo, I won’t let go of you
My dear soul!
-Don’t make it hard
Sweet dear heart
You have to!
Please hang on me no more
I shall not see you suffering
Frozen by winter’s cold
Please! I need to show you
That I’m strong!
Let go, my heart,
Catch the next wind
Fly joyful, and all of my being
Shall do no breath
While following your dance.
Do dance our memories
From birth to dea.. this very moment
For You have been my joy, my crest!
Please savor this last full freedom
Like no one else!
She had no other choice
But do, all that her loved tree would want
Full edged in red and still not dried from
A whole night of cry, the yellow leaf
Took a deep breath and:
No other leaf or creature fully winged
Could capture to repeat her beautiful swing.
As soon as she would touch the ground,
the tree would start to cry.
You could still feel his tears
if the opposite side of her fall could touch.
Now, we shall know rather than guess
he never shown his tears
to the loving crest.
Elena Sandu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Autumn Leaf by Elena Sandu )
Did you read them?
- To be not jealous…, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Crime, Neela Nath
- A Childhood Game, Heather Burns
- Promise, Chandan Ray
- Why does the old one suffer?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- The Hymn of Mercy - 17, ramesh rai
- Each Drop of Anger, a Bread Crumb to Hea.., Mr. Nobody
- फुं सोरां बिलियाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Daughter of the Earth - 42, gajanan mishra
- I Always Looked Upon Them With Pity And .., Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)