The Art Of Playing Dominoes
I played dominoes with my grandson
His last year I played dominoes with my father
My grandsons dominoes had animals on their faces
My father’s were the traditional kind
There is little skill in playing
Much is determined by the hand you start with
Chance and luck plays a major role
In who wins the game.
Is that much like life?
My father played with dimmed eyes
a befuddled mind
My grandson saw bright animals,
knew the differences
Between a cockerel,
a cow.a sheep and a pig.
My father saw only dots
and found it difficult
My grandson was beginning his life
Everything was bright
He knew the colors were alive
My father was ending his
In black and white and gray.
I played dominoes with them both
the living link. messenger between the two
I was privileged sharing in the Game.
My father bequeathed to me
the Art of playing dominoes
Is that so much like life?
peter rodenby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Art Of Playing Dominoes by peter rodenby )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Exercises Of The Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Accounting For Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poetry, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Best Is To Forget, Shalom Freedman
- Esta noche, Sergio Jaime
- My Pen Is Happy, King Happy
- All of The Above, King Happy
- In a Minute, King Happy
- Knowing and accepting, gajanan mishra
- Lady of Enigma, NimmyMAry Kurian