The Apex Predator
Tigers no longer burning bright
In any forest by day or night.
This soon will be the case
Because of us the human race.
Elephants and Rhino too
You'll have to see them in a zoo,
Because daily their numbers shrink
Killed by those who only think
Of the profit they can gain
Caring nothing for the pain
And suffering they cause
In this most unequal of wars.
People in Asia sadly believe
That better health they will achieve
From taking ground up tiger bones
Or the ground up hair of rhino horn.
Now the burning question for me
Is how do people seem unable to see
That such things offer no improvement
To blood flow to the penis, or bowel movement.
There is no benefit at all
Except to the greedy, one and all
Who make the market for such 'medicines',
And for ivory trinkets, carvings, and rings.
And daily the slaughter carries on
They won't stop till the last one's gone.
Then where will they turn
Which species will be next before we learn
Not to treat nicely those who are
Behind it all, and who so far
Have always been protected by
The corrupt politicians that they buy.
Tom Higgins 20/06/2013
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Apex Predator by Tom Higgins )
- This unknown world, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Grace, Scott J. Shepard
- My chidhood poem collection -2, soulful heart
- Pleasant Weather, Royal Flower
- Friend-Zoned, Foster Teegarden
- My chidhood poem collection -1, soulful heart
- Switch Your Words, inas essa
- All opposites are ours, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A Change of Thought, Scott J. Shepard
- Will They Never Know The Looking Glass W.., mary douglas
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)