The Apex Predator
Tigers no longer burning bright
In any forest by day or night.
This soon will be the case
Because of us the human race.
Elephants and Rhino too
You'll have to see them in a zoo,
Because daily their numbers shrink
Killed by those who only think
Of the profit they can gain
Caring nothing for the pain
And suffering they cause
In this most unequal of wars.
People in Asia sadly believe
That better health they will achieve
From taking ground up tiger bones
Or the ground up hair of rhino horn.
Now the burning question for me
Is how do people seem unable to see
That such things offer no improvement
To blood flow to the penis, or bowel movement.
There is no benefit at all
Except to the greedy, one and all
Who make the market for such 'medicines',
And for ivory trinkets, carvings, and rings.
And daily the slaughter carries on
They won't stop till the last one's gone.
Then where will they turn
Which species will be next before we learn
Not to treat nicely those who are
Behind it all, and who so far
Have always been protected by
The corrupt politicians that they buy.
Tom Higgins 20/06/2013
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Apex Predator by Tom Higgins )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- It came like a storm, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- please don't take her, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Car Lights (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Expression Eruption: Alcohol, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Death please came and take me, tsholofelo phakathi
- The Ph.D. Guide & The Girl Scholar (A Lo.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- And Were You Dreaming In The Licorice Ni.., mary douglas
- Por-por Chha Gaya.........., Upendra Singh
- It Is Beautiful To Act Like A Sattagerin.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minimalism, Adonis Enricuso