The seed was planted long ago,
Her body nurtured it with care,
Slowly time, allowed to grow,
Awaiting; first breath of air.
A tiny little beating heart,
Body forming in the womb,
Together begin, to impart,
As the flower, is to bloom.
Every month another change,
Movement, turning around,
Nature’s secret interchange,
The process is quite profound.
Encapsulated, safe and warm,
Nothing else to tend the need,
Healthy body protects from harm,
Umbilical cord, to feed.
First contraction, then another,
Counting minutes long between,
Full attention, father and mother,
It’s the doctor’s time to convene.
Dilating, now the head appears,
So natural, as in the flow,
Cry of life, comes with tears,
Mother basking; the afterglow.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Afterglow by G.R. Gaus )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- How Long iS yOUr List of Shoulds?, Monk E. Biz
- The Love Train Rolls, chug a chug a chuga, Monk E. Biz
- Ill-fated, gajanan mishra
- An Agonizing Cry, Valsa George
- Patterns Followed On Aging Fabric, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Documenting Of Those Endeavors, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Courage, Lilly Emery
- Bijay Kant Dubey An Expert on Jayanta Ma.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Living ‘In Fear' of The Lord, Brian Johnston
- what now?, cece rodriguez