Thankful For The Things I Do Not Know
I taught students with Autism for 39 years, people thought I was well trained
They would congratulate me on my knowledge and the expertise I had attained.
I was quick to tell them I was no expert and their argument I’d spurn
For I knew no matter how much I taught, there was still so much to learn.
In fact it was my students who taught me (it was part of their magnificence) ,
To look to each day as a blessing through the eyes of innocence.
They helped me realize it’s OK if on many things I have no clue
That way the world still holds some mystery and many things seems new.
The other day Deborah and I went for a hike and as we wandered to and fro
I found myself so thankful for the things I did not know.
I did not know one cloud from another as they floated in the sky
So each cloud seemed as beautiful as the last as I watched them drifting by.
I did not know the names of the birds or where they ranked in artistry
So every bird I saw seemed magnificent to me.
I did not know one bird’s warble from the next bird’s song I’d hear
So every sound I listened to was music to my ears.
I did not know the names of the plants, I’ve never had a need.
So I was free to see the beauty in the flower and the weed.
As we walked amidst the beauty and watched nature put on her show
I had to thank my lucky stars for all the things I did not know.
Once again I thank my students who taught me to see with innocent eyes
So that a simple hike in the woods is a wonder, and every day is a surprise.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thankful For The Things I Do Not Know by Jim Yerman )
- Beside you walks a woman, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- A name on the tree, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Standing In The Middle, Katherine Perry
- Non - Compliance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Is homosexual an adultery?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- my heart zeal's with the angels, Antonio Liao
- Peace Of The Soul, Michael McParland
- Dream: Not Scream, Aftab Alam
- Do you?, Petai Jirakongpipat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dirge, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Incident In A Rose Garden (By Donald Jus.., michael zhitnitsky
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)