Agha Shahid Ali
First the hand, delicate,
precise, knows how to carve
where to take the knife, make
more alive than when alive:
No fur, no feather,
I am only skin-deep, so easy
to get to the cancer beneath:
He fills me with straw,
Yeats's tattered coat at twenty-five,
(not the adolescent fancy-dress-scarecrow
when I won the first prize!)
No hurdle now,
he reaches my hunger:
I've never felt so full before!
I scare eagles, the stuffed crows
in his room; they escape me,
freedom a synonym for the sky.
Caressed by the leopard's vacant eye,
finally warm, secure, in his skin,
I turn towards the bloodless direction.
The fan drones in my veins,
blood humming like chopped air;
my tongue hangs out, poems dead in its corners.
Suave pimp of freedom, here I am, ready
for your show-window:
Will you now bargain for me?
Agha Shahid Ali's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Taxidermist by Agha Shahid Ali )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- It's Funny, Isn't It?, Lili Domis
- You And I, Lili Domis
- Sonnet: Who Makes Money Wisely?, Dr John Celes
- Postcard For The Tin Soldier In Tintypes.., mary douglas
- I Submit, I Am Krakatoa
- till the last blood, binod bastola
- When Public Limited Company Goes Under, Terence G. Craddock
- We are three friends, gajanan mishra
- Single march, hasmukh amathalal
- It is unpleasant to live with mental uns.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan