Tattoo (Mine) ....... [personal tattoo; end-of-life decision)
I suppose it’s been around for thousands of years:
‘inking’ pictures, designs, or words on skin...... from ankles to ears.
Hearts, and skulls, tigers, and snakes,
“MOM”, and swastikas........for goodness sakes!
Many are prominently placed and are often seen,
while others, noticed less often, are placed in places ‘obscene’.
Mine says NO CPR and lies beneath hair on my chest.
Someday it may help me to be quietly put to rest.
CPR: Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation.
I guess it has its place in this age and nation,
but not for me.....I hope. I’ve lived long and well.
I’m ready to go, perhaps to Heaven, ....perhaps to Hell.
Encircling NO CPR are words over which Death can drool:
“Donate body to nearest medical school.”
A ‘med’ school is not near now, ......
but to an incinerator I’ll go, I vow.
I hope doctors honor my sincere-tattoo request,
and let my body slip into a long, sweet, and contented rest.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
the O in NO is a smile face.
Comments about this poem (Tattoo (Mine) ....... [personal tattoo; end-of-life decision) by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Forget Forgive Focus Follow and have Fai.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- I Wrote Too Much, Shalom Freedman
- If You are Sad, Turn the Pages, Hebert Logerie
- Time Flies, Tony Adah
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Stronghold: Macchu Picchu, Brandt Nightingale
- Friends, sasha yarlexolnikov