Tales From The Deep
There is a ghost in my house,
a collection of all
the rejected and abandoned
pieces of myself.
Mostly lazy and depressed
I don’t let her leave
or let her be seen.
So she walks around.
In the only place she is allowed to be.
When I leave, I can conquer the world.
Free of her iron embrace,
liberated from her lethargy.
But when I return home,
Who’s been pacing and anxious all day
greets me like a sinking ship
whose destiny is rot and rust
anchored within the abyss.
Waterlogged. Strange creatures
scurry and spy
hiding in the cracks
for a stray morsel or surprise attack.
Underwater there is no air or light.
Just rock and decay and teeth and
Wrapped in chains.
If I could only fold her
into my arms and gather those chains
to experience the weight and rhythms of the deep.
I let my eyes adjust.
Lit by luminescence,
a mysterious landscape emerges,
At this depth
Whatever wind and tide
Build waves like mountains
she and I remain.
my hand in hers.
The lightness of my heart
brings me back to the surface.
I look below to see her
peaceful and unchained.
Anemone bloom like stars in a cobalt sky
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tales From The Deep by Nichole Humes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White
- (Rock ballad) Hold on and letting go, Putri Misnia Shary Bahri (Sh ..
- Road Kill, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Plum Pudding Much Needed, Vera Sidhwa
- The River, bryan wallace
- Strides, Vera Sidhwa
- The Snowdrop, bryan wallace