Tales From The Deep
There is a ghost in my house,
a collection of all
the rejected and abandoned
pieces of myself.
Mostly lazy and depressed
I don’t let her leave
or let her be seen.
So she walks around.
In the only place she is allowed to be.
When I leave, I can conquer the world.
Free of her iron embrace,
liberated from her lethargy.
But when I return home,
Who’s been pacing and anxious all day
greets me like a sinking ship
whose destiny is rot and rust
anchored within the abyss.
Waterlogged. Strange creatures
scurry and spy
hiding in the cracks
for a stray morsel or surprise attack.
Underwater there is no air or light.
Just rock and decay and teeth and
Wrapped in chains.
If I could only fold her
into my arms and gather those chains
to experience the weight and rhythms of the deep.
I let my eyes adjust.
Lit by luminescence,
a mysterious landscape emerges,
At this depth
Whatever wind and tide
Build waves like mountains
she and I remain.
my hand in hers.
The lightness of my heart
brings me back to the surface.
I look below to see her
peaceful and unchained.
Anemone bloom like stars in a cobalt sky
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tales From The Deep by Nichole Humes )
- High Rollers, Liilia Talts Morrison
- Nightmares at your feet, Nikola Pajtic
- Dying roosters, Nikola Pajtic
- Narcissus, Mark Heathcote
- Birthday, bryan wallace
- My Jason Lytle Suggestion, Mark R. Elias
- Poetic Aspirations, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Nappy Change, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- Holding Closely, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rock an' Roller, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Heather Burns