Suman Kumar Das
Tale Of Twelve
Twelve hundred artisans
Twelve years’ revenue of a kingdom
Passed twelve years
To erect the huge statue of stones
At the mouth of Chandrabhaga.
Was the crown stone
Still to be mounted.
Failed efforts of workforce,
Lost hopes in fear.
Then ordered the impatient king;
In three days it to be end
Or all to be put to death.
At once came a twelve year old boy
As an envoy from paradise,
With a solution to set the last stone
At the top of the temple.
Finally stood the gigantic chariot
On twelve pair of wheels
Pulled by seven pairs of horses.
But were all artisans still apprehensive
That may they lose their lives
If knows the angry king the truth.
For twelve hundred lives,
Climbed that little son onto the temple
And leapt into the sea,
Before the first rays of sunrise
Kissed the throne inside it.
Till today roams his immortal soul
Round this ruined cenotaph
Singing the song of sacrifice.
Suman Kumar Das's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
-: Narasimhadeva (the king of Ganga Dynasty) had hired a chief architect called Bisu Maharana to build the temple. After a period of twelve years, a workforce of twelve hundred almost finished the construction. But, they failed to mount the crown stone. The impatient king ordered the temple to be finished in three days or the artisans be put to death. At the time, Bisu Maharana's twelve year old son, Dharmapada arrived at the site. Bisu Maharana had never seen his son, as he had left his village when his wife was still pregnant. Dharmapada successfully proposed a solution to mount the crown stone. But, the artisans were still apprehensive that the king will be displeased to learn that a boy succeeded where his best artisans failed. Dharmapada climbed onto the temple and leapt into the water to save his father and his co-workers.: -
Comments about this poem (Tale Of Twelve by Suman Kumar Das )
- Mohabbat kaamil ho gayi, Ahatisham Alam
- Single Dad, louis rams
- A Victim of Love?, Mr. Nobody
- The Ugly Brother, Von Kimball Barney
- Khwaabon ki Haqikat, Ahatisham Alam
- THE BIRTH LAND, Abhishek Kumar Singh
- Hame Rone ki aadat pad gai, Ahatisham Alam
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.72, Mr. Nobody
- Lovers are Poets and Poets are Lovers, Mr. Nobody
- I dont have to but I love you Blues Song, Dimitri Jagodinski
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)