Taking the Risk
Dare he shed his mask, lay inhibitions
on the shore? Dare he face pointed questions
of those who beg more from his stoic face
than pass-fail of intuition’s past days?
Diving into the deep end of fear, where
artisans, poets, musicians congregate,
he’s learning from their gifts of navigation...
attempting to avoid detractions’ reefs.
Back on the shore, he flips and flops, gasping
breaths, his feet newly wet, his wings untried.
Once composed, he rights wrongs, polishes
the gem, then throws it back into the sea.
Sharks gather around this newfound jewel.
While some turn down their noses, some sample
and like the taste of something different.
He waits, anxious for acknowledgment, acclaim.
He took the risk, invested in himself. He
dared confront himself. Giving all, he now
stands tall, a heroic figure for those
who dare submit their gifts to the critics’ eye.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Taking the Risk by Jackie Allen )
- Vieze oren, Schone ogen, Madrason writer
- The Purple Lady., Achill Ladd
- My World, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Just Write It, Mark R. Elias
- A PHOTOGRAPH OF MYSELF AT AGE TEN, TAKEN.., NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Dainty Little Poem, Mark R. Elias
- 1959, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- TRANSIENT, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- எப்பொழுதும்!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Peddle Witches, Lilly Emery
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)