Taking the Risk
Dare he shed his mask, lay inhibitions
on the shore? Dare he face pointed questions
of those who beg more from his stoic face
than pass-fail of intuition’s past days?
Diving into the deep end of fear, where
artisans, poets, musicians congregate,
he’s learning from their gifts of navigation...
attempting to avoid detractions’ reefs.
Back on the shore, he flips and flops, gasping
breaths, his feet newly wet, his wings untried.
Once composed, he rights wrongs, polishes
the gem, then throws it back into the sea.
Sharks gather around this newfound jewel.
While some turn down their noses, some sample
and like the taste of something different.
He waits, anxious for acknowledgment, acclaim.
He took the risk, invested in himself. He
dared confront himself. Giving all, he now
stands tall, a heroic figure for those
who dare submit their gifts to the critics’ eye.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Taking the Risk by Jackie Allen )
- Here, Betsy Sholl
- The Blue Eyed, Sadiqullah Khan
- The Tortoise, Betsy Sholl
- A Reflecting Mirror, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sanctuary, Naveed Khalid
- Angel of Dissent, Betsy Sholl
- The Queen Mary, Ima Ryma
- Atukei, The Itesot Girl, maureen ceasar
- A Little Traveling Music, Betsy Sholl
- Masochistic Punishment, Margaret Alice Second
Poem of the Day
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)