Tableau for Armistice Day
Posted on Nov.11th 2008 Armistice Day
In Memory of all the Irish Soldiers who were
killed or injured in The World War 1914 - 1918
including family members
' All The Boys'
Polished pride of place
The massive table, heart
Of the home, the only decent
Thing we ever bought.
Solid as a six year marriage
Set with a cloth at the sunny end
For tea. For two.
The rest littered with work,
A warm scarf half
Knitted, a stocking with a ladder.
Letters from the Front.
My pen, my paper,
A sodden handkerchief
My beads. Our picture.
And staring starkly back at me
A passion from Passchendaele
How can I fill this table,
Martin Swords's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tableau for Armistice Day by Martin Swords )
- Paralyzed And Iced, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Art and the Pain, Udaya R. Tennakoon
- Alien Lullaby, Akujuobi Chijioke
- A Song Of Long Ago, Lilly Emery
- Simply Amazing, Olecia Henry
- A City Called Nirvana, Akujuobi Chijioke
- Dragon Kite Tanka, Chenou Liu
- Butterfly Kite Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Nightmares With No End, Lilly Emery
- The source of our pains and our sufferin.., MOHAMMAD SKATI