Out in Arizona my Dad grew roses.
He embraced the great merit,
Loved to say,
How he enjoyed cultivating his own garden.
That spot he tended along side the house,
It was the love of his retirement.
I saw those roses disporting,
Performing and they were real pretty,
Showing off their tightly petaled spiraling centers.
Seems they climbed the long-tall trellises just to flaunt,
Dazzle the onlooker with the grace of their towering ascent,
And what beauty in their many colors,
Their outfits boasting red, and pink,
And the truest bright of yellow,
While others bore garb,
All infused with hues of gold and orange.
With that said,
I feel as though I have written myself into a predicament.
How do I dare still to proclaim,
Those roses never flowered like you.
No! They never looked the way,
The way you looked tonight, darling.
Sure! No doubt about it!
Many might find this kind of talk
Coy, no more than borrowed phrase and imagery,
Notions common in the language of the heart.
So here’s the twist. I swear to it. I tell the truth,
The same as if I stood in court of law,
My right hand raised, the left upon the Holy Book.
By solemn oath I declare,
My flattery means to please your heart,
The same as would the wrappings on any special gift.
So help me, honey, know these words,
My terms of endearment, honest and sincere.
STANLEY PACION's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sweet Talk by STANLEY PACION )
- Love Speaks in Silence, Paul Sebastian
- The Ideal Wife, Paul Sebastian
- Then ever it would really you are not e.., Yuri Starostin
- Judicially, hasmukh amathalal
- ACCENT, Terry Collett
- Passion, Suresh Dogra
- Joy and peace, gajanan mishra
- Light, Suresh Dogra
- No purpose yet, hasmukh amathalal
- A Bit of Clarity- Finally, Andy Caldwell
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Parody on “A Psalm of Life”, Oliver Wendell Holmes
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Indira Renganathan
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)