In the pre-dawn darkness the herdsman awoke.
On the trees outside woodpigeons and magpies
Fluffed up their feathers and crows shifted on their perch.
The shower was hot and steam filled the bathroom
Soon breakfast of tea, cereals and toast was over.
It was the robins that started to call followed by the
Woodpigeons. Their long low coo, coo echoed
As the veil of night lifted to the grey of dawn.
Light came from low down on the horizon in a pink
Faint glow. Soon an orchestra of birdsong filled the air.
The herdsman walked the cows down to the milking
Parlour, the only sound came from their hooves and the
Swishing of their tails striking their back bone. The sound
Of woodpigeons, magpies and crows filled the air. On the
Horizon the pink glow had turned into a faint orange.
The sun began to lift low on the horizon as the herdsman
Entered the milking parlour with the first half dozen cows
Ready for milking. In the field the first rabbits surfaced and
Scurried across the field, faint shadows of trees as darkness
Was replaced by light. And still the birds sang their dawn chorus.
The sun rose on the horizon and over the land and hoarfrost
Began to glisten in the field. Magpies and crows began to
Look for worms and robins darted here and there and
Cornflowers and poppies opened their petals to start their
New day. Squirrels came down tree trunks as the sun began to rise.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sunrise by David Wood )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(August 8, 1884 – January 29, 1933)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
- (Adi Sankara) 07 Sankara's works, Rajaram Ramachandran
- (Adi Sankara) 06 A Guru was found, Rajaram Ramachandran
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Manw..?, Swrji Basumatary
- She Came to Me, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Life Begins Again, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Good Soul, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Best Wishes My Love, Valentine Mbagu
- Relativity And Love, Sambanath Denis
- 2014, Joseph Archer
- For violating state law, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- De optelsom van al het Kwaad, Madrason writer
- Summer, Jordy lustig