Life on the streets, I've become known as that man
Who will beg and plead for as much I can,
Whether its 10p,20 or even the pound
When you come to shop, I'm always around.
I've got no change is what a lot of you say
Assuming All I do is drink beer every day,
Yes the truth is I like a beer here or there
But the one thing I want is for someone to care.
No family, no friends, sleeping rough on the streets
Spend my days begging otherwise I cannot eat,
My clothes are all tattered as they with stand the rain
I'm cold and I'm lonely and I cant stand the pain.
I only need 50p and I can buy myself food
'leave me alone you smelly tramp I'm not in the mood'
Prevents me from begging just to stop the abuse
So I sit in the rain hungry and become a recluse.
Shivering with pains all around my body and head
Accused of faking in the hostel because I 'just want a bed'
My body too weak as I crash to the ground,
It'll be 12 long hours until my body is found.
Death caused by hunger and no shelter or home
No one willing to help me as I died alone,
All it took was 50p but the abuse was nothing new
Just remember even those homeless have a heart and feelings too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Street Life by Ronnie Doherty )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- 'Hope' is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Stray Reflection, Sunny Chopra
- Tagore Song (#13) When He comes to beg me, Tushar Ray
- Selfish, Naomi Mith
- Tagorer Song (#12) My Invisible Flute, Tushar Ray
- Tagore Song (#11) Who is this piano pla.., Tushar Ray
- THOUGHT-LIFE (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Music, Life's Soundtrack (Quatrains), Cynthia BuhainBaello
- Love Note 16, Michael P. McParland
- Change, David Lessard
- ENVY DEFINED, Cynthia BuhainBaello