Life on the streets, I've become known as that man
Who will beg and plead for as much I can,
Whether its 10p,20 or even the pound
When you come to shop, I'm always around.
I've got no change is what a lot of you say
Assuming All I do is drink beer every day,
Yes the truth is I like a beer here or there
But the one thing I want is for someone to care.
No family, no friends, sleeping rough on the streets
Spend my days begging otherwise I cannot eat,
My clothes are all tattered as they with stand the rain
I'm cold and I'm lonely and I cant stand the pain.
I only need 50p and I can buy myself food
'leave me alone you smelly tramp I'm not in the mood'
Prevents me from begging just to stop the abuse
So I sit in the rain hungry and become a recluse.
Shivering with pains all around my body and head
Accused of faking in the hostel because I 'just want a bed'
My body too weak as I crash to the ground,
It'll be 12 long hours until my body is found.
Death caused by hunger and no shelter or home
No one willing to help me as I died alone,
All it took was 50p but the abuse was nothing new
Just remember even those homeless have a heart and feelings too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Street Life by Ronnie Doherty )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Time For Healing and Time to Love, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Merry-Christmas, gajanan mishra
- The best of surrenders, A. Jayaprakash Jayaprakash P ..
- This world is yours, gajanan mishra
- Wrapped Around Your Finger, Amber Carr
- With full freedom, hasmukh amathalal
- તે જ જોવાનું..tej jovaanu, hasmukh amathalal
- Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- The Sounds, Vera Sidhwa
- Absence, Neela Nath