Life on the streets, I've become known as that man
Who will beg and plead for as much I can,
Whether its 10p,20 or even the pound
When you come to shop, I'm always around.
I've got no change is what a lot of you say
Assuming All I do is drink beer every day,
Yes the truth is I like a beer here or there
But the one thing I want is for someone to care.
No family, no friends, sleeping rough on the streets
Spend my days begging otherwise I cannot eat,
My clothes are all tattered as they with stand the rain
I'm cold and I'm lonely and I cant stand the pain.
I only need 50p and I can buy myself food
'leave me alone you smelly tramp I'm not in the mood'
Prevents me from begging just to stop the abuse
So I sit in the rain hungry and become a recluse.
Shivering with pains all around my body and head
Accused of faking in the hostel because I 'just want a bed'
My body too weak as I crash to the ground,
It'll be 12 long hours until my body is found.
Death caused by hunger and no shelter or home
No one willing to help me as I died alone,
All it took was 50p but the abuse was nothing new
Just remember even those homeless have a heart and feelings too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Street Life by Ronnie Doherty )
- फैमालनि बिदिन्थि, Ronjoy Brahma
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)