Life on the streets, I've become known as that man
Who will beg and plead for as much I can,
Whether its 10p,20 or even the pound
When you come to shop, I'm always around.
I've got no change is what a lot of you say
Assuming All I do is drink beer every day,
Yes the truth is I like a beer here or there
But the one thing I want is for someone to care.
No family, no friends, sleeping rough on the streets
Spend my days begging otherwise I cannot eat,
My clothes are all tattered as they with stand the rain
I'm cold and I'm lonely and I cant stand the pain.
I only need 50p and I can buy myself food
'leave me alone you smelly tramp I'm not in the mood'
Prevents me from begging just to stop the abuse
So I sit in the rain hungry and become a recluse.
Shivering with pains all around my body and head
Accused of faking in the hostel because I 'just want a bed'
My body too weak as I crash to the ground,
It'll be 12 long hours until my body is found.
Death caused by hunger and no shelter or home
No one willing to help me as I died alone,
All it took was 50p but the abuse was nothing new
Just remember even those homeless have a heart and feelings too.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Street Life by Ronnie Doherty )
- My Address, gajanan mishra
- With dogs and rats, Aftab Alam
- If I Were A Child, Randy McClave
- Who Wilt Preach?, Sir Toby
- Uncle Ikey's Last Words No.43, Robert Graber
- A Balance Of Opinion, Richard Provencher
- Till you come, micheal john
- The Thing Betwixt The Ears, Buxton Shippy
- Going To Heaven, Tony Adah
- Your Party, Dog goD 8Hate