Still, Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas, the voice greets me
humbug I mutter under breath
greed hatred jealousy
only things you live with.
Keep to yourself your mirth
I sullenly brood
such lies are too heavy for this earth
done this place no good.
Relations under cloud of doubt
each soul bears a grievous injury
merriment had long gone out
the greet is just empty.
It's a pity you still find it merry
with all the injustice inequity
man classified quartered
children for food bartered.
Merry doesn't the word stink
while some choose what to drink
fuss about the flavor to savor
many reach it by thirsty miles' labor.
Merry can't hide away the glum
of human habitats in dingy slums
strewn on pavements under open sky
breathing refuses left to rot and die.
Still, Merry Christmas to you, says the voice
the time is to give and rejoice
the world though is truly what you say
You, I, We, have made it that way.
Pradip Chattopadhyay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Still, Merry Christmas! by Pradip Chattopadhyay )
Did you read them?
- Tale of the Neck, Ima Ryma
- Life's Lived Long Lessons, Katherine Nordhaus
- Nigah-e-naaz (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Passages of Time, Phil Soar
- Listening To Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are, Phil Soar
- Racing In A Yellow Cab, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Today, SALINI NAIR
- A Deep Knowing Inside, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Flower of Love, Oscar Wilde
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- rwetewrt erwtwer
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)