Bees may be trusted, always,
to discover the best, nay, the only
human, solution. Let me cite
an instance; an event, that,
though occurring in nature, is still
in itself wholly abnormal. I refer
to the manner in which the bees
will dispose of a mouse
or a slug
that may happen to have found its way
into the hive.
The intruder killed,
they have to deal with
which will very soon poison
their dwelling. If it be impossible
for them to expel or dismember it,
they will proceed methodically
to enclose it in a veritable sepulcher
of propolis & wax,
which will tower fantastically
above the ordinary monuments
of the city.
When we die
our bodies powder, our bodies
the vessel & the vessel
Our dying does not fill
the hive with the stench
of dying. But outside
the world hungers.
A cockroach, stung,
can be dragged back out.
A careless child
forced a snail inside with a stick once.
We waxed over the orifice of its shell
sealing the creature in. And here,
the bottom of the comb,
driven in by winter & lack.
Its pawing woke us. We stung it
Even before it died it reeked - worse
the moment it ceased
we crawl over it
to pass outside,
the wax form of what was
staring out, its airless sleep,
the mouse we built
to warn the rest from us.
Nick Flynn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Statuary by Nick Flynn )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- love as a natural disaster that can't be.., Hyeladai kwapaya
- बहा आंनि मिनिनाया, Ronjoy Brahma
- A few, very few, too few..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Aching Bad, Michael P. McParland
- Essence of world peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- love heals, Hyeladai kwapaya
- Republic day, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The Heart of a Broken Hearted Girl, Serenity Anderson
- PH: Life: Black On White, Brian Johnston
- Experiencing Peace, RoseAnn V. Shawiak