As the house of a person
in age sometimes grows cluttered
with what is
too loved or too heavy to part with,
the heart may grow cluttered.
And still the house will be emptied,
and still the heart.
As the thoughts of a person
in age sometimes grow sparer,
like a great cleanness come into a room,
the soul may grow sparer;
one sparrow song carves it completely.
And still the room is full,
and still the heart.
Empty and filled,
like the curling half-light of morning,
in which everything is still possible and so why not.
Filled and empty,
like the curling half-light of evening,
in which everything now is finished and so why not.
Beloved, what can be, what was,
will be taken from us.
I have disappointed.
I am sorry. I knew no better.
A root seeks water.
Tenderness only breaks open the earth.
This morning, out the window,
the deer stood like a blessing, then vanished.
Jane Hirshfield's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Standing Deer by Jane Hirshfield )
- Twilight Glow, Antonio Liao
- Halloween Riddle, Michelle Claus
- Not with me today, hasmukh amathalal
- Hobbesian Girl, John F. McCullagh
- Outlook, hasmukh amathalal
- Of Sinne, John Beaumont
- Forgive Me, Ismim Putera
- A Monster's Warning, Bruce Larkin
- Of Teares, John Beaumont
- Advice from the Jackalope Man, Bruce Larkin
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)