Sophie by the river and moonlight
Lying in my arms apparently contented
you do not fidget or struggle,
water soothes, fascinates
no temptations to jump,
to walk away,
that may come later.
I who have stolen time
trespass on another mans fate,
a substitute grandfather.
No blood binds, heritage,
history or haemoglobin.
Both watch water
over rocks, over falls, down river.
I see for what it is, but what do you see
sitting on grass grasping flowers?
It’s dark you are asleep
I sit again as night comes
solitary star low on horizon.
A planet does not twinkle,
parade of street lights up the dale.
Fifty years separates
a generation removed.
A man watching water a mile up river
Does not see the same as me.
You are long asleep from time
we sat under shadow of sycamores.
pale light, but you will not see
You were mine a princess of the river
Precious, but not moonlight.
I am beyond you
with burden of experience
toll of tears.
You are beyond me
your life might take.
peter rodenby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sophie by the river and moonlight by peter rodenby )
- Flow with time, hasmukh amathalal
- five hundred and whatever..., Mandolyn ...
- Copyrights, Mark Heathcote
- Freedom Not Permitted, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Feel bad, hasmukh amathalal
- Why Do You Want to Destroy?, Mantu Mahakul
- Fibonacci: Cosmic Spiral, Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- Reflection On Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Planet Hollywood Birthdays, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Distant Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Percy Bysshe Shelley