Sophie by the river and moonlight
Lying in my arms apparently contented
you do not fidget or struggle,
water soothes, fascinates
no temptations to jump,
to walk away,
that may come later.
I who have stolen time
trespass on another mans fate,
a substitute grandfather.
No blood binds, heritage,
history or haemoglobin.
Both watch water
over rocks, over falls, down river.
I see for what it is, but what do you see
sitting on grass grasping flowers?
It’s dark you are asleep
I sit again as night comes
solitary star low on horizon.
A planet does not twinkle,
parade of street lights up the dale.
Fifty years separates
a generation removed.
A man watching water a mile up river
Does not see the same as me.
You are long asleep from time
we sat under shadow of sycamores.
pale light, but you will not see
You were mine a princess of the river
Precious, but not moonlight.
I am beyond you
with burden of experience
toll of tears.
You are beyond me
your life might take.
peter rodenby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sophie by the river and moonlight by peter rodenby )
- Morning Triku V, Steve Kittell
- To My Love, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Scrutinized As Being Abusive, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sting, Foster Teegarden
- Some Ghoul, Foster Teegarden
- the man of christmas, Faith Taylors
- My Description, Foster Teegarden
- Scared to love you, leanne royle
- Pain, leanne royle
- Human, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)