Sophie by the river and moonlight
Lying in my arms apparently contented
you do not fidget or struggle,
water soothes, fascinates
no temptations to jump,
to walk away,
that may come later.
I who have stolen time
trespass on another mans fate,
a substitute grandfather.
No blood binds, heritage,
history or haemoglobin.
Both watch water
over rocks, over falls, down river.
I see for what it is, but what do you see
sitting on grass grasping flowers?
It’s dark you are asleep
I sit again as night comes
solitary star low on horizon.
A planet does not twinkle,
parade of street lights up the dale.
Fifty years separates
a generation removed.
A man watching water a mile up river
Does not see the same as me.
You are long asleep from time
we sat under shadow of sycamores.
pale light, but you will not see
You were mine a princess of the river
Precious, but not moonlight.
I am beyond you
with burden of experience
toll of tears.
You are beyond me
your life might take.
peter rodenby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sophie by the river and moonlight by peter rodenby )
- Elegy Number Six, Nouri al Jarrah
- Elegy Number Three, Nouri al Jarrah
- looking, llinda bevan
- Elegy Number Two, Nouri al Jarrah
- Elegy Number One, Nouri al Jarrah
- Economic Rugs., Bieze Josephat
- Mama et Papa, Sentamu Aziz
- Roses, Kwai Chee Low
- The Crownless King, Sentamu Aziz
- My Windy Friend, Kwai Chee Low
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tarantella, Hilaire Belloc
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)