Song. Low hung the dark clouds
LOW hung the dark clouds on Plinlimmon's tall peak,
And slowly, yet surely, the winter drew near;
When Ellen, sweet Ellen, a tear on her cheek,
Exclaimed as we parted, 'In May I'll be here.'
How swiftly I ran up the mountain's steep height,
To catch the last glimpse of an object so dear!
And, when I no longer could keep her in sight,
I thought on her promise,....'In May I'll be here.'
Now gladly I mark from Plinlimmon's tall peak
The low-hanging vapours and clouds disappear,
And climb the rough mountain, thence Ellen to seek,
Repeating her promise....'In May I'll be here.'
But vainly I gaze the wide prospect around,
'T is May, yet no Ellen returning is near:
Oh, when shall I see her! when feel my heart bound,
As sweetly she cries, 'It is May, and I'm here!'
Amelia Opie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Song. Low hung the dark clouds by Amelia Opie )
Did you read them?
- Searching Blonde, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Destiny....., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 9, ramesh rai
- Our House Is The Mountain Top, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- At no cost, hasmukh amathalal
- Overcompensation, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- Virtual White Teeth, douglas scotney
- Transformation, Amitava Sur
- Twinkle twinkle little star - 8, ramesh rai
- Space Of Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Let Go and Let God (dedicated to my aunt.., Miss Remy
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)