What fortune strange, what strange misfortune erst
Did tosse me with a thousand things in vaine,
Whiles sad despaires confounded did remaine?
Whiles all my hopes were to the winds disperst?
Erected whiles, and whiles again renuerst?
Whiles nurc'd with smiles, whiles murther'd with disdaine,
Whiles borne aloft, whiles laid as low againe?
And with what state haue I not once bene verst?
But yet my constant mind which vertue binds,
From the first course no new occurrence drawes:
Still like a rocke by sea against the waues,
Or like a hill by land against the winds:
So all the world that viewes that which I find,
May damne my destinie, but not my mind.
William Alexander's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonet 76 by William Alexander )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- Democracy, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Groove Of A New Sound, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Depths Of Remembering, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 185, John Westlake
- Wash over me., Jessica Amburgey
- Martin Chuzzlewit, douglas scotney
- Love Note 18, Michael P. McParland
- A Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Loving Free - Falling, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Poor Child's Born with a Start that'.., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- A explanation, Mariam Abdelghani