I wrestle with words to say to you
always working the nouns and verbs
switching them around you and me
waiting for a true sentence to form.
You never seem to notice I'm thinking beyond the situation
and your eyes glaze over a little bit with my mundane day to day
'Go away! '
your glance always flashes that statement when I get long winded.
I feel diminished in your presence somehow
if I were older or smarter or cared just a little more
maybe you'd love me like I want you to
or maybe I wouldn't demand so much that you show some interest.
It's never just right -
you and me
we are odd shapes trying to piece our lives together
instead of making a whole picture we keep bumping each others' edges.
There's really nothing to do about this predicament except wait
to see what happens -
if anything at all will ever happen
maybe we'll know for sure what my wrestling words are trying to say.
Summer Shaw's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sometimes by Summer Shaw )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- An Almost Made Up Poem, Charles Bukowski
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Knew a Woman, Theodore Roethke
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Living Passion, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Love Magic, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Life Stretching, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Electric Love, Suresh Dogra
- Capturing An Awareness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Letting Imagination Run, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A river, Leong Ming Loong
- The End of the Road, Sandra Feldman
- Silent Conversation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Serenity Is Placed, RoseAnn V. Shawiak