Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking]
With eyes closed and my hands folded up on my lap,
I'm about as close as I ever come to taking a nap.
I might fall asleep but for the continuous tap.... tap, tap, tap,
as, with her delicate fingers, my wife, on her keyboard, does rap.
While composing each stanza I turn out the light,
and listen to the sounds of the soon-to-be night.
Outside it's windy and cool but our home is closed up tight,
and, with help from a sweater and slippers, I'm feeling just right.
Now the tapping has ceased. My wife may be pondering too.
And from outside there's a muffled sound which may be wind in the trees,
or a low flying airliner descending or ascending the breeze.
Of course it could be a mixture of both sounds. This is true.
It's nice for a change, this quietude. I feel almost lazy,
but I can imagine how forced-solitude might drive someone crazy.
To have a choice in the matter is a privilege I cherish;
if I had no choices in life, I think I'd much rather just perish.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
- i just got the first comment on this poem...thank you. but i will now clarify that the keyboard is/was that of a computer, not a piano. b.e.
Comments about this poem (Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Ebola! One Last Time, Peter Kimani
- India, Connie Marcum Wong
- A Counter Revolution in Cuba, Deborah Eker
- Pure love, Nassy Fesharaki
- A Man's Hat, Darren David Weaver
- tonight i write you with one sock on, Mandolyn ...
- useless poets, Is It Poetry
- i dropped us and you were glass, Mandolyn ...
- The Typewriter, Patrick van der Loos
- Friday Night For The Writer, Patrick van der Loos
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)