Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking]
With eyes closed and my hands folded up on my lap,
I'm about as close as I ever come to taking a nap.
I might fall asleep but for the continuous tap.... tap, tap, tap,
as, with her delicate fingers, my wife, on her keyboard, does rap.
While composing each stanza I turn out the light,
and listen to the sounds of the soon-to-be night.
Outside it's windy and cool but our home is closed up tight,
and, with help from a sweater and slippers, I'm feeling just right.
Now the tapping has ceased. My wife may be pondering too.
And from outside there's a muffled sound which may be wind in the trees,
or a low flying airliner descending or ascending the breeze.
Of course it could be a mixture of both sounds. This is true.
It's nice for a change, this quietude. I feel almost lazy,
but I can imagine how forced-solitude might drive someone crazy.
To have a choice in the matter is a privilege I cherish;
if I had no choices in life, I think I'd much rather just perish.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
- i just got the first comment on this poem...thank you. but i will now clarify that the keyboard is/was that of a computer, not a piano. b.e.
Comments about this poem (Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking] by Bri Edwards )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Stay not away, gajanan mishra
- Ah! Little Woodlouse - Are You Unreal?, Brian P FitzGerald
- You Will Always Learn, Naveed Akram
- What can I do, gajanan mishra
- Salvation, Uttam Biswas
- Morning Prayer, Brian P FitzGerald
- Ghost And..., John Ugolo Umah
- Mendel Anxiety, RISHAD MKPNR
- Beauty Falls..., John Ugolo Umah
- Flooded street, gajanan mishra