Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking]
With eyes closed and my hands folded up on my lap,
I'm about as close as I ever come to taking a nap.
I might fall asleep but for the continuous tap.... tap, tap, tap,
as, with her delicate fingers, my wife, on her keyboard, does rap.
While composing each stanza I turn out the light,
and listen to the sounds of the soon-to-be night.
Outside it's windy and cool but our home is closed up tight,
and, with help from a sweater and slippers, I'm feeling just right.
Now the tapping has ceased. My wife may be pondering too.
And from outside there's a muffled sound which may be wind in the trees,
or a low flying airliner descending or ascending the breeze.
Of course it could be a mixture of both sounds. This is true.
It's nice for a change, this quietude. I feel almost lazy,
but I can imagine how forced-solitude might drive someone crazy.
To have a choice in the matter is a privilege I cherish;
if I had no choices in life, I think I'd much rather just perish.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
- i just got the first comment on this poem...thank you. but i will now clarify that the keyboard is/was that of a computer, not a piano. b.e.
Comments about this poem (Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking] by Bri Edwards )
Did you read them?
- Backbone Of A Nation, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Vertigo, Nassy Fesharaki
- Worthy Expressions, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Flight Of Fairies, Nicholas Nikolov
- Goodnight Kiss, Nicholas Nikolov
- MURIEL, Donald R Charon
- GLENDA, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Close To You, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)