Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking]
With eyes closed and my hands folded up on my lap,
I'm about as close as I ever come to taking a nap.
I might fall asleep but for the continuous tap.... tap, tap, tap,
as, with her delicate fingers, my wife, on her keyboard, does rap.
While composing each stanza I turn out the light,
and listen to the sounds of the soon-to-be night.
Outside it's windy and cool but our home is closed up tight,
and, with help from a sweater and slippers, I'm feeling just right.
Now the tapping has ceased. My wife may be pondering too.
And from outside there's a muffled sound which may be wind in the trees,
or a low flying airliner descending or ascending the breeze.
Of course it could be a mixture of both sounds. This is true.
It's nice for a change, this quietude. I feel almost lazy,
but I can imagine how forced-solitude might drive someone crazy.
To have a choice in the matter is a privilege I cherish;
if I had no choices in life, I think I'd much rather just perish.
Bri Edwards's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
- i just got the first comment on this poem...thank you. but i will now clarify that the keyboard is/was that of a computer, not a piano. b.e.
Comments about this poem (Solitude - (Almost) - aka Sitting In A Dusk-filled Room.... [Relaxation; Quiet; Thinking] by Bri Edwards )
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
- Michael P. McParland
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Obama...God....And Brothers Castro - The.., James B. Earley
- Human Family, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- What to do with this life?, gajanan mishra
- Shady Retreat..., Denis Martindale
- It is open, hasmukh amathalal
- Of Nature.Of free Will., SAK Reddy
- A Lasting Psalm, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Catalyst, Lubinda Lubinda
- I Love You..!, SAK Reddy
- Into Depths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You will find, hasmukh amathalal
- Bale Visions, Adeosun Olamide