Alan Bruce Thompson
I'm really quite frightened in this flabby little form.
I've tried to tell them that I don't like being alone.
If I squeak just right then she’ll think I’m hungry.
If I squeal quite wrong, then he will get angry.
It's hard for the formed soul to express through the child's mouth.
It has to wait a long time of growth to find its way out.
Months and months of milk bottles and nappy changing.
Years and years of being small, wet and cold.
Slowly from baby to boy, even slower from child to man.
Then the soul gets lost as the body starts growing old.
The growing old is just about the opposite of growing up.
Then one day the soul is free to find another flabby little body.
Alan Bruce Thompson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Small Soul by Alan Bruce Thompson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Emily Jane Brontë
(30 July 1818 – 19 December 1848)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- A Sonnet for My Incomparable Mother, Feroz Khan Bangash
- (Adi Sankara) 06 A Guru was found, Rajaram Ramachandran
Poem of the Day
- The Bridal Dance, Tony Adah
- Marcus Aurelius Rose, Lisa Jarnot
- Victoria Spivey's, David McLansky
- The Land, Marites C. Cayetano
- Touch and claim, hasmukh amathalal
- Sonnet: The Awesome Creator, Dr John Celes
- Sashay, Cee Bea
- Snakes are snakes always, gajanan mishra
- Sonnets Uncorseted, Maxine Kumin
- Sky, mina lotfi