Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012)
In twenty three a star was born,
A supernova amateur
Amongst a galaxy of pros.
Self-taught, he'd gain respect from all.
His generous spirit helped the young
With finance and encouragement
Inspired a post-war generation
Of graduate astronomers.
So many aspects to his life:
TV presenter - 50 years,
A lunar personality
And early mapper of the moon,
Cheerful monocled professor,
(He bowled a vicious Chinaman!) ,
A guardian of the animal world,
Composer and musician,
The sky at night is now less bright -
A knight is missing from the sky.
Our shining Patrick is no more,
His bright infectious chatter, gone.
On life outside the solar system
There'll always be much speculation,
But he would keep an open mind,
When pressed on beings, alien.
He'd fix you with his glassy stare
And with that enigmatic smile
Pronounce his mantra clear and slow
To those who'd ask: "We just don't know"!
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012) by William Messent )
- तुम्हारी याद (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Sacred Men, Naveed Akram
- दर्द ही सही (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- तेरा ग़म (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- On the road of life على طريق الحياة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Travel, Hans Raj Sharma
- I Will Enter, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Unlimited Love, howard simon
- O, Earth! O, Heavens!, Rachel Glassman
- Epithalamium, Rachel Glassman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)