Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012)
In twenty three a star was born,
A supernova amateur
Amongst a galaxy of pros.
Self-taught, he'd gain respect from all.
His generous spirit helped the young
With finance and encouragement
Inspired a post-war generation
Of graduate astronomers.
So many aspects to his life:
TV presenter - 50 years,
A lunar personality
And early mapper of the moon,
Cheerful monocled professor,
(He bowled a vicious Chinaman!) ,
A guardian of the animal world,
Composer and musician,
The sky at night is now less bright -
A knight is missing from the sky.
Our shining Patrick is no more,
His bright infectious chatter, gone.
On life outside the solar system
There'll always be much speculation,
But he would keep an open mind,
When pressed on beings, alien.
He'd fix you with his glassy stare
And with that enigmatic smile
Pronounce his mantra clear and slow
To those who'd ask: "We just don't know"!
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012) by William Messent )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Infamous Art Hotel Inhospitality, Terence G. Craddock
- Summer Music, Fireworks Melting the Ice .., mary douglas
- For Trilby My Ruby-Eyed Stick Horse, Wan.., mary douglas
- hollywood son, lee fones
- The Olive Bough, Elia Michael
- For James Joyce at the Beinning of Days,.., mary douglas
- ' I Am ', Monica Lanier
- As If the Sun Had Words, mary douglas
- Hexed Hysteria, Monica Lanier
- Fly, Fly High, Monica Lanier