Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012)
In twenty three a star was born,
A supernova amateur
Amongst a galaxy of pros.
Self-taught, he'd gain respect from all.
His generous spirit helped the young
With finance and encouragement
Inspired a post-war generation
Of graduate astronomers.
So many aspects to his life:
TV presenter - 50 years,
A lunar personality
And early mapper of the moon,
Cheerful monocled professor,
(He bowled a vicious Chinaman!) ,
A guardian of the animal world,
Composer and musician,
The sky at night is now less bright -
A knight is missing from the sky.
Our shining Patrick is no more,
His bright infectious chatter, gone.
On life outside the solar system
There'll always be much speculation,
But he would keep an open mind,
When pressed on beings, alien.
He'd fix you with his glassy stare
And with that enigmatic smile
Pronounce his mantra clear and slow
To those who'd ask: "We just don't know"!
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012) by William Messent )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)