Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012)
In twenty three a star was born,
A supernova amateur
Amongst a galaxy of pros.
Self-taught, he'd gain respect from all.
His generous spirit helped the young
With finance and encouragement
Inspired a post-war generation
Of graduate astronomers.
So many aspects to his life:
TV presenter - 50 years,
A lunar personality
And early mapper of the moon,
Cheerful monocled professor,
(He bowled a vicious Chinaman!) ,
A guardian of the animal world,
Composer and musician,
The sky at night is now less bright -
A knight is missing from the sky.
Our shining Patrick is no more,
His bright infectious chatter, gone.
On life outside the solar system
There'll always be much speculation,
But he would keep an open mind,
When pressed on beings, alien.
He'd fix you with his glassy stare
And with that enigmatic smile
Pronounce his mantra clear and slow
To those who'd ask: "We just don't know"!
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Sir Patrick Moore (1923 - 2012) by William Messent )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Bleeding, May Swenson
- Men, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- The Bells, Edgar Allan Poe
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
Poem of the Day
- thoughts of you, Dorsey Baker
- Our call, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Khoon Allodah, Akhtar Jawad
- Emptiness, Dorsey Baker
- Meditation, Aftab Alam
- Not an infant any more, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- The UKIP-topian, sociopathic delusions o.., Stanley Collymore
- Turning points., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Hold, Nur Danial
- Adil Jussawalla The Man & The Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey