Hayyim Nahman Bialik
Should You Wish To Know The Source
Should you wish to know the Source,
From which your brothers drew…
Their strength of soul…
Their comfort, courage, patience, trust,
And iron might to bear their hardships
And suffer without end or measure?
And should you wish to see the Fort
Wherein your fathers refuge sought.
And all their sacred teasures hid,
The refuge that has still preserved
Your nation's soul intact and pure
And when despised, and scorned, and scoffed,
Their faith they did not shame?
And should you wish to see and know
Their Mother, faithful, loving, kind
Who…sheltered them and shielded them.
And lulled them on her lap to sleep?
If you, my brother, know not
Then enter now the House of God,
The House of study, old and gray,
Throughout the scorching summer days
Thoughout the gloomy winter nights,
At morning midday or at eve…
And there you may still behold,
A group of Jews from the exile who bore the yoke of its burden who forget their toil,
through a worn out page of the Talmud.
And then your heart shall guess the truth,
That you have touched the sacred ground
Of a great people's house of life.
And that your eys do gaze upon
The treasure of a nation's soul.
Hayyim Nahman Bialik's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Should You Wish To Know The Source by Hayyim Nahman Bialik )
- A Light Joke, Yohan Confectioner
- The waters wild shriek in the Night., Emmanuel George Cefai
- In the trick sleep, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Sign of the Cross, Emmanuel George Cefai
- You That these verses read, Emmanuel George Cefai
- To Beauty added - dilution, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Chords, Yohan Confectioner
- In to small syllables, Emmanuel George Cefai
- I Live For You, Naveed Akram
- Over the river, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)