On nights of torment and sorrow
its waters saturate the pillow
and it comes like the smell of moss
with green steps
to touch my right palm
with a jasmine sprig:
I am the river...
Don't you love me? Don't you want to reach Basra
on the wings of the pillow?
I'm awake, awake.
'On my pillow a drop
that tastes like moss...'
Skies shade me.
Low skies shade me and the sparrows,
and my grandfather holds my hand,
his face shaded with a red kaffiyeh.
In the distance the waters shine
and my grandfather holds my hand:
Let's go faster before the birds leave.
Let's go faster before tide robs our nets...
On the grass, fish drip from our nets.
In river fog they appear like green ships,
like red ships,
like blue ships
that sailed before the water rose.
On the shores of Kout Al-Zain dawn was tumbling down.
he date palms wore purple plumes
and in my hair there were stars, warmth, and rain.
I was swimming toward the other bank,
swimming to reach Ahwaz.
And in Ahwaz dawn was tumbling down
and the date palms wore purple plumes
and the water in Karoun tasted just like the water
Saadi Youssef's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Shatt Al-Arab by Saadi Youssef )
- Haiku 'Eat', miken newman
- उगा रेत से बालुआ ये शहर (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Christmas Blackmail, Phil Soar
- Child Inside, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- G.M. Soldier (still fighting that war wi.., michael walkerjohn
- Imagination, Phil Soar
- Halloween tonight, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Wall @ penn-mar 91732, michael walkerjohn
- Life's Canon, michael walkerjohn
- Platypus, Phil Soar
Poem of the Day
- luggage canada, rwetewrt erwtwer
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)