Look at Hamlet
What Hamlet’s father said to him,
In Hamlet’s mind grew rather dim.
The lesson is: We can’t obey
Unless our mind is just one way.
Self-reproof Isn’t Everything
The prince soliloquizes;
His indignation rises.
And Hamlet stands reproved.
But Hamlet hasn’t moved.
All about Lady Macbeth
Lady Macbeth, too ambitious,
Caused her husband to be vicious.
Macbeth heeding her commands,
Made his lady wash her hands.
Romeo and Juliet
Is about a family net.
Love fares sadly by a vault.
Wasn’t it the families’ fault?
The Question in King Lear
All through the play this is asked by King Lear:
Could anyone tell me what is going on here?
Eli Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Shakespeare, Compactly by Eli Siegel )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Recipe To Live, Asma Riaz Khan
- Mind Over Matter (Scream), Joseph Archer
- Jesus among Us, michael hagwood
- Winterpoesie, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Love the Spine, V P Mahur
- Vergißmeinnicht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Loving Lips, V P Mahur
- Am Winterwehr, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Christmas Midnight - Christ - Mitternacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen
- Holy Night - Weihnacht, Johann Joseph Clahsen